It's Friday, the 13th... and setting eggs

Sorry to hear about that hatch, I would've been very very sad. I have hatched before, some good, some bad. I am hoping that this ends up being a good one. These are shipped eggs, but have heard good things about others that have hatched some of these. You never know when you do shipped eggs. What kind of incubator do you use? I have a Brinsea 20 advance. I love it. But it takes a lot of the stress and worry out of it, to me that helps. This is only my second year having chickens, so I am still pretty new.
I have a hova bator # 623N..think I'm missing a number on the model... well, any way it's all manual. I've been thinking about adding some more gadgets to it.. I turn by hand and have 3 thermometers in there . It's been fluctuating in temps with adding water... trying to keep it below 100...

Well guess I might as well join in to, I set eggs around 6:00 am today (saturday). I know you guys set on friday, but saturday's pretty much the same date. Good , luck everybody!

welcome aboard... how many eggs? what kind? I've got some more eggs coming this week... we'll see what happens... i'm scared!!
Melinda

im being naughty im so thinking of getting some chicken eggs to hatch but need a small quiet breed if im going to do it, but cant help looking on the web at all the beautiful breeds
love.gif
the silkies, the sizzles and the frizzles
love.gif
just not sure if they would be way too noisey

I'm in on this hatch! My Bantam Wyandotte eggs arrived on the 13th, and I let them settle for just shy of 24 hours, so I set them at 10am on Saturday the 14th. I have 8 eggs here at my house and this is my first hatch. My friend who is more experienced with incubating and hatching has my other 24 eggs. :D Of the 8 i candled, 5 had great air cells, 2 were kinda iffy, and 1 I couldn't see an air cell at all. I'll candle again on day 7 and cull any eggs that aren't doing what they're suppose to be doing. I'm nervous and super excited at the same time! :)

I'm in on this hatch date too.. i received my eggs on friday let them settle for 15 hours... Put them in incubator sat morning first time with shipped eggs..
they are polish crested frizzles so im hoping they do well... also put 15 of my polish crested in.... Can't wait for the 3 weeks...
Good luck everyone!!!

Ugh! the two thermometers in the bator have different readings. Which one would you trust, the digital one or the mercury one? I just took an average, it tured out to be 103, but I guess thats ok, all I did was pull out one of the vent plugs,and it turned out good.
(didn't want to even touch the temp adjustment knob, if I do the temp goes craazy) So how is everyone else doing?

Ugh! the two thermometers in the bator have different readings. Which one would you trust, the digital one or the mercury one? I just took an average, it tured out to be 103, but I guess thats ok, all I did was pull out one of the vent plugs,and it turned out good.
(didn't want to even touch the temp adjustment knob, if I do the temp goes craazy) So how is everyone else doing?

Have you calibrated the mercury thermometer with ice water?
http://cmfarm.us/ThermometerCalibration.html
I was having the same problem. One of my digitals was reading way off, so I got a mercury thermometer and an aquarium thermometer from walmart. When I tested them in ice water, they were both accurate, so I trust them over the digital.

I've been away for a couple of days. It's exciting to see all the new people in our little group
yippiechickie.gif

I had to add a little water to the incubator, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to shine the flashlight into the top of an egg. Woohoo!!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom