It's Friday, the 13th... and setting eggs

Woot 4mom82 so happy for you :D as I'm doing quail eggs tonight is my first candling night too I've left it as late as possible so it was really dark as I thought due to the eggs being button quail eggs and tiny it would be difficult to see but was amazed how clear most of them where I could even see the minuscule hearts beating in 11 of the eggs there are still 6 I'm unsure off as they are alot darker in colour and 4 bad eggs removed so all in all I'm eggstatic hehe a possible 15 out of 24 and that's with 3 of the heart beat eggs have small hairline fractures in them I know I still have 13-15 days to go and anything could happen but at this moment in time I'm happy to know it's all going well :)
Hope everyone else is doing ok?
Neheigh xxx

Have you calibrated the mercury thermometer with ice water?
http://cmfarm.us/ThermometerCalibration.html
I was having the same problem. One of my digitals was reading way off, so I got a mercury thermometer and an aquarium thermometer from walmart. When I tested them in ice water, they were both accurate, so I trust them over the digital.

I've been away for a couple of days. It's exciting to see all the new people in our little group
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks for posting that, the video helped
big_smile.png

welcome aboard... how many eggs? what kind? I've got some more eggs coming this week... we'll see what happens... i'm scared!!
Melinda

I set 30 eggs from my little barnyard mutts. Technically, they are "American Game Crosses", but theve been crossed so much with so many types of different Game chickens, who really knows what they are anymore. It started off from breeds like Kelso and Hatch ,Radio, and led off into who knows what now lol. Well lets see what htches this time. Hope your eggs arrive ok, Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Well I didn't set any but my brody hen did. I don't have much faith in brodies but I will let her try. set 4-16-930PM I put 9 wheaten Marans eggs under her. She had 1 cuckoo and 1 questionable egg ... She is a cuckoo marans about 3 years old.
Than I have a BCM setting on 10 eggs (BCM) Hope she does a better job than me ....
I have way to many chickens and way to many eggs.
Happy hatching

Havent really candled mine yet i had 7 eggs that were shipped where the air cell would go down side.... so not turning for 7 days or candleing until then...... I so hope and pray they hatch at least 3 of the 7
bow.gif
I also have 15 of my polish crested last time i did a staggered hatch (wont do that again)
th.gif
The first 10 eggs had 8 hatch... lost all 8 eggs when it was time for lock down a week later... think it was to much on them....
Good luck everyone!!! Ill candle fri and let everyone know....hehe
sitting on hands now...lol
idunno.gif

Hello
frow.gif
, Hope it's alright for me to join in. I just discovered this site a few hours ago
big_smile.png
.. First time hatching also, set my first incubator on 4/12 with 45 chicken eggs (white and light brown) and 5 duck eggs, set the second 4/17 with 35 chicken eggs (also white and light brown). Don't know what kind of chickens they are from, I am incubating for my grandpa because racoons kept stealing them from the farm. Going to candle 4/12 batch tomorrow evening
big_smile.png
excited to see if anything is going on, hope I'm doing it right.

Temp fluctuates (sp) from 97 - 102 and I hope that is alright too, they are Little Giant Air Hova Still Incubator 9200 from my grandpa. I did have one really bad flair up with the digital thermometer and it read 106
barnie.gif
- I'm thinking it was because the backing came off because I have fixed it since and the temps have been normal again. Guess I will know more after candling tomorrow.

Last edited:
Candled one today, I could see just the slightest hint of veins.
fl.gif

woot.gif
That's a good sign! I did the same, couldn't resist checking out a couple of the "local" eggs (wanted to leave the shipped eggs alone as much as possible). In the 4 marans eggs I could only see a dark blob. This concerned me - anyone know what that could mean? In the 2 ameraucana eggs I checked, one had definite spidery veins and a small dark mass that seemed to move a little. I will candle the rest on Friday, which should be day 8, and have another look at those marans eggs. I'm using a red led hunter's tracking light - makes it somewhat easier to see into the dark brown eggs it seems.
Temp fluctuates (sp) from 97 - 102 and I hope that is alright too, they are Little Giant Air Hova Still Incubator 9200 from my grandpa.

I'm seeing this too in my still-air hovabator. Nothing over 102 or under 98 - with humidity holding at about 35%.
fl.gif

Did a quick candle last night (day 4) on the sebright eggs. Didn't take them out just quickly put a flashlight on the top of each one. So far veins in 10 of them.
fl.gif
this is my 3rd attempt at hatching. The first two attempts both failed
hit.gif

good luck everyone!

I too candled my eggs (start of day5) this morning. Of the 8 Bantam Wyandotte eggs, 5 have veins, 2 look infertile and 1 is hard to tell. This is my first attempt at hatching, so I'm pretty pleased so far. Oh, and these are shipped eggs from SC to UT!

Just finished candling mine, 1 was really cloudy inside and 2 weren't doing anything - not too bad. 2 of the duck eggs are hard to tell, so my dad told me to keep them in and check them again in a few days. I peeked at a few of the ones I started yesterday and they actually look better then the 1st batch. (They had been sitting in cartons for a few days)
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom