It's going to be 90 degrees tomorrow

libbyhan

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
I have 4 four week olds and 2 two week olds. They are in seperate brooders in the 3-season porch. It's going to be 90 tomorrow and Wednesday. It was HOT out there yesterday- I turned the fan on for them. Night temps in the 60s.

I should be unplugging the light, right? Only on at night at this point? I don't have a thermometer- I would obsess over it and decided that I should skip it.

The coop will be ready by Wednesday and I can't WAIT for these dusty chicks to get out of my house!
wink.png

I would unplug it during the heat of the day...that would be sweltering. I'd be using only a small wattage bulb for you older ones even at night if it's in the 60s to start weaning them off.

If it is 90 degrees outside then I would turn off the light.

My broody has the baby chicks so they are near her if it is cold - They are two weeks old and spend the entire day following her around and very rarely do they need to climb into her feathers for warmth anymore only at night. It has been very hot here in Florida too.

Caroline

Thanks! I've been over doing it with the lights, darnit. The chicks have plenty of space to get away from the heat from the light, but they seem so SMALL! I just didn't want them to get chilled. Finding a balance in life has always been a bit of a battle for me.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom