It's good to be the king!

mlheran

Songster
12 Years
Mar 21, 2007
Sonoma County, California
LOL, that's what this pile of cochin banties looks like to me -his little harem!
lol.png

I have six chicks that I bought three weeks ago from the feedstore, and I'm pretty sure they got the cochin bantam assortment from Ideal. However, I have no ideal what they are.

I'm pretty sure I have two blues (both pullets, I hope), two blacks or mottles (one roo for sure!), and two that I thought were going to be gold-laced but what is up with all the white specks -their chests are coming in almost solid white?? Also, I hope those two are pullets as well. Everyone seemed to sprout reddish-pink wattles this past week, but so far the one black roo is the only one to get a big red comb.

It's not the best pic, but it's the best my camera would give me without fresh batteries. And idea what they are? Do gold-laced have lots of white specks when they first feather out? They almost look like adult mille fleurs, but they don't seem to have the beards and the coloring isn't quite right... is it?

What are they??!
hu.gif

060307.jpg

They looked like this when I first got them:

051207B.jpg

Last edited:
Too Cute! Sorry i can't help, I also have a few mystery chicks
hu.gif
Your chick does kinda look like a partridge cochin but i'm not to good with the whole guessing game lol

Last edited:
Ah that's right, I forgot about the partridge possibility. I wonder if they have white specks when feathering in?

These chicks have been fun precisely because I wasn't sure what they were, it really is kinda fun that way!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I know! It just changed to candy-apple red one day out of the blue!

They're about three and a half weeks old right now, and they look like feathery little dustballs.
lol.png

That's another thing, do bantams mature faster or something? It took my standards at least five weeks before I was sure I had a roo.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Ah, good point! I'm hoping that since everyone seems to have pink wattles that no further comb development will occur in the rest -one roo is just fine, but no more!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom