It's raining cats and dogs...

Malkaris

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
ATL Canada
This should probably have been posted in the rambling thread but... it does involve predators.
The stuff that's happened in the last couple of months is just 😤 and I shattered my screen so getting back on here for advice took a while...

Anyway! Just this afternoon: 2 separate incidents involving 2 different dogs owned by totally different people from opposite directions!
The first time the hens were free-ranging and a huge dog I've never seen before came into our yard - into our porch even! - and went after my hens. Feathers everywhere and worse. A guy came and grabbed the dog and disappeared. It took 3 hours to get all the hens from where they scattered. Then later another dog was after them - of course they were confined to the coop/run by then but still! Seriously!! Running and barking along the fence after the day they'd already had. I've been free-ranging because they don't tend to go anywhere too crazy and we had an absolute ton of rain : the ground is saturated and their run is a mess.

Still finding blood etc. Had to leave it for tonight. Naturally that afternoon was also an important thing at work, and I felt sick from everything that happened.
I guess at least a couple weeks ago I found out the hens can be defended from weasels by my cats. Not dogs though...:th

Now there's talk of professional fencing - but it's expensive and choosing a place - especially if it has to be attached to the current run, won't be fun. *sigh*

This should probably have been posted in the rambling thread but... it does involve predators.
The stuff that's happened in the last couple of months is just 😤 and I shattered my screen so getting back on here for advice took a while...

Anyway! Just this afternoon: 2 separate incidents involving 2 different dogs owned by totally different people from opposite directions!
The first time the hens were free-ranging and a huge dog I've never seen before came into our yard - into our porch even! - and went after my hens. Feathers everywhere and worse. A guy came and grabbed the dog and disappeared. It took 3 hours to get all the hens from where they scattered. Then later another dog was after them - of course they were confined to the coop/run by then but still! Seriously!! Running and barking along the fence after the day they'd already had. I've been free-ranging because they don't tend to go anywhere too crazy and we had an absolute ton of rain : the ground is saturated and their run is a mess.

Still finding blood etc. Had to leave it for tonight. Naturally that afternoon was also an important thing at work, and I felt sick from everything that happened.
I guess at least a couple weeks ago I found out the hens can be defended from weasels by my cats. Not dogs though...:th

Now there's talk of professional fencing - but it's expensive and choosing a place - especially if it has to be attached to the current run, won't be fun. *sigh*
So sorry about all this torment you and your chooks went through. Can you possibly ask neighbours if they know these people? Maybe put something up in community notice about dogs attacking chickens? Hoping you and the chickens are ok...
Laura :)

You need something like hardware cloth to keep a weasel out with no gaps it can slip through. I have electric wires around my coops and pens and nothing get past the hot wires. If you free range it's the risk you take and sooner or later you will loose a bird/birds. Luckily we don't have weasels here but have most all other predators and they all like poultry. Good luck...

Attachments

• Weasel.jpg
    Weasel.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Weasel2.jpg
    Weasel2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 4
There are probably 1,000 + threads on BYC involving dog attacks. Domestic dogs and coons listed as the top 2 predators for chickens.

In my opinion, best solution to domestic dog problems is an electric fence. But I just want them gone. If your preference runs to shooting your neighbor's dog and all the hub bub that will entail, fire away.

If interested in finding out more about electric fences, search for my name and electric fences. Wealth of information available to you.

Good luck.

You need something like hardware cloth to keep a weasel out with no gaps it can slip through. I have electric wires around my coops and pens and nothing get past the hot wires. If you free range it's the risk you take and sooner or later you will loose a bird/birds. Luckily we don't have weasels here but have most all other predators and they all like poultry. Good luck...
Chicken wire comes with different size openings. I’ve had a dead long tailed weasel in my hand and they cannot fit through the smaller opening .5 in or 13mm.

There are probably 1,000 + threads on BYC involving dog attacks. Domestic dogs and coons listed as the top 2 predators for chickens.

In my opinion, best solution to domestic dog problems is an electric fence. But I just want them gone. If your preference runs to shooting your neighbor's dog and all the hub bub that will entail, fire away.

If interested in finding out more about electric fences, search for my name and electric fences. Wealth of information available to you.

Good luck.
The best fencing for dogs would be an actual barrier fence of welded wire or similar along with electric fencing extended out away from the barrier. I’ve seen dogs on a tear (which they will be in many cases while chasing chickens) run right through 7 wires spaced as a proper predator fence. Same dog just touching it knocks it to the ground. Dog was clotheslined by the wires and tumbled right in. So electric wires are not the end all.

One neighbour has a puppy we can usually keep an eye out for, and the house next door just sold and is being gutted. I thought I knew all the local dogs. :/

Chicken wire comes with different size openings. I’ve had a dead long tailed weasel in my hand and they cannot fit through the smaller opening .5 in or 13mm.

My hardware cloth is 1/2" - I like it because it seems to be a thicker guage than the ones with smaller holes. But we got over 10 cm of rain, and then it went below 0°C so they've hated being in their run. I'm working on different ideas. :/

I was surprised the cats could take out a weasel but IDK if I should have been.

Good luck.

Well... at the time we all may have felt like shooting it lol... but... hopefully it won't come to that. It's too bad I couldn't have gotten the electric fence from the farm that shut down... :(

The best fencing for dogs would be an actual barrier fence of welded wire or similar along with electric fencing extended out away from the barrier. I’ve seen dogs on a tear (which they will be in many cases while chasing chickens) run right through 7 wires spaced as a proper predator fence. Same dog just touching it knocks it to the ground. Dog was clotheslined by the wires and tumbled right in. So electric wires are not the end all.

I wonder if the people that bought the farm land next door might have extra welded wire, that might work well! It's annoying because the places the chickens like the best when free-ranging are the least secure and hardest to fence. But even if it just slowed the dog down that would help. I wasn't impressed with the owner - walked within a foot of me when he finally showed up to grab his dog, which had run over to me - but wouldn't say a word to me.

He's obviously a jerk! Maybe he knows he's responsible for all your losses, in cash, and ran. Decent folks stand there, apologize profusely, and pay up. Report this episode, with pictures, to AC, so there's a record, because those dogs will return. Good luck with this!
Meanwhile, electric fencing is the fastest and most cost effective solution for canine invaders, and @Howard E , @cmom , and Premier1supplies.com all are good resources. Bait the fence at first, so the dogs make direct contact, and they will run!
And don't let your birds out for now. Setting up a game camera is a good idea too.
Mary

I love the electric hot wires that go around my coops and large pens. Nothing has gotten past the hot wires. I think here the adults teach their young that getting zapped isn't worth any chickens. I also love my game cameras.

Back
Top Bottom