It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Italian Peasant Stew

2 oz Olive oil
1 package hot* Italian sausage (sliced)
4 oz Pancetta or bacon (diced)
1 large or 2 small onions (diced)
Pinch of salt
1/4 Cup red wine
4 cloves of crushed & minced garlic
1 TBS dried basil
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp red pepper flake*
1 tsp black pepper
1 can 15.5 oz Cannellini beans (with juice for thicker consistency or drained and rinsed for thinner consistency)
1 package 3 cheese tortellini (optional)

This is great
Fresh Basil for garnish
Italian cheese blend for garnish

I used a porcelain lined dutch oven. Add the oil and heat on medium low fire until about 350*, add bacon and sausage and cook until the bacon is crisp and the sausage is browned. Remove the meat to a paper towel lined plate and pour off all but about a table spoon of the fat.

Add the onions and just enough salt to make them sweat. Start deglazing the pan. Add the wine (you can substitute beef or chicken stock if you prefer) and garlic and work the pan until all the brown bits are up and the liquid is gone.

Add the tortellini, stir well and simmer another 8 minutes.

A nice crusty bread for dipping goes well with this recipe.
Spiced Carrot and Pepper Soup

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves of garlic
1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
6 large red bell peppers
1 pound of carrots, thinly sliced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika (sweet not hot)
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp harissa (optional)

In a large pot:

Heat the oil until hot and add the onions and garlic. Cook until lightly browned (approx 5-10 min). Add the peppers and cook until they are slightly softened (approx. 10 min). Add the carrots and cook for another 5 min. Add the spices and cook for 1 more minute. Add the salt and enough water to just cover the vegetables. Cover and simmer until veggies are tender (approx 25-30 min). Use an upright or immersion blender to puree until smooth. Stir in the harissa (optional).

Optional serving suggestions/ garnishes:

Chopped flat leaf parsley
Lemon wedges
A few spoonfuls of cooked rice per bowl.
White Soup

1 Lb Chicken Breasts, or any other meats
1 Medium Onion, Chopped.
Garlic (To taste)
1 Tablespoon Oil
1 1lb bag great northern beans or 6 potato
6 cups broth
2 cans chopped green chilies
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions.

Saute meat, onions, and garlic in oil. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. Before serving add 1 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup whipping cream.
Chicken noodle soup

* 1 (3.5 lb) whole chicken or equivalent weight in thighs
* 3 quarts low sodium chicken broth (i use saved broth from past batches or bone broth made earlier and saved)
* 6 carrots peeled
* 4 stalks celery, ends trimmed
* 3 medium onions, peeled
* 5 black peppercorns
* 1 clove garlic
* 10 sprigs parsley
* 2 sprigs thyme
* 1 Bay leaf
2 TBS butter or Olive oil
* 4 leeks, tops and root ends removed (optional)
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
* 3 cups (5-8 oz) medium egg noodles (homemade prepared)

Place the chicken and broth in a large stockpot and set it over medium heat. Roughly chop 2 carrots, 2 celery ribs, 1 onion and add the broth. Add the peppercorns, garlic, 2 sprigs of parsley, thyme, Bay leaf, and enough water to just cover the chicken. Bring broth to a boil, reduce heat to a summer, and cook until the chicken is very tender, about 1 1/4 hours, skimming the surface periodically (I always skip that). Remove the chicken and place in a large bowl. Strain the broth through a very fine sieve into a large, clean bowl or stockpot. Discard the vegetables.
Skim any fat off the top of the strained broth and discard. Slice the remaining carrots, celery, onions, and leeks into 1/4 inch thick pieces and set aside. Remove and discard the skin and bones from the chicken. Cut the meat into 1/2 inch pieces and set aside. Chop the remaining parsley leaves and set aside. Melt the butter (or heat oil) in a large Dutch oven over medium heat or in the bottom of the stockpot. Add the vegetables and cook until the onions are translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the chicken, the reserved broth, salt, and pepper. Simmer the soup until the vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Stire in the egg noodles and parsley and cook until the noodles are tender, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.

These look amazing Penny...I can't wait to try them! 💞

I have one more recipe to share today! This is for Bone Broth...I make this in my Instant Pot! I use bone broth as the base for most of the soup that I make...it's so tasty & good for you and super easy to make! You can also make bone broth on the stove or in a slow cooker...it takes many hours to do it that way!

This recipe came from the following website, but I have modified it to my preference of certain ingredients! https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-bone-broth/

Bone Broth

Ingredients
  • 2.5 - 3 pounds (1198g) Beef bones (or a combination of 554g pork, 644g chicken)
    • 1T Duck Fat or Beef Tallow
    • 5 - 6 (212g) Chicken Feet or Wings
    • 2 (252g) onions keep the outer layers, roughly diced
    • 2 (215g) celery stalks , roughly diced
    • 2 (265g) carrots , roughly diced
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 2 (8g) garlic cloves , crushed
    • 1 teaspoon (3.5g) whole peppercorns
    • 8 cups (2L) cold water
    • 2T (30ml) fish sauce
    • 2T Coconut Aminos
    • Your favorite fresh or dried herbs (optional, I omit and add later when desired)
    • 1 tablespoon (15ml) apple cider vinegar
    • 1-3 whole Jalapeno (optional)
    • 1 Tbls. Salt added after the broth is strained (option)
Steps
    • Optional Step to Enhance the Bone Broth: Heat up your pressure cooker over medium high heat (Instant Pot: press Sauté button and click the Adjust button to go to Sauté More function). Make sure your pot is as hot as it can be (Instant Pot: wait until the indicator says HOT).
    • Add 1 tablespoon (15ml) Duck Fat in the pot and brown the bones for 3.5 minutes per side. You may have to do it in two batches. Pour in ½ cup (125ml) cold water and completely deglaze the pot by scrubbing all flavorful brown bits with a wooden spoon.
    • Pressure Cook Bone Broth: Add 5 - 6 (212g) chicken wings (optional) and the rest of the ingredients in the pressure cooker. Close lid and pressure cook at High pressure for 2 hours + Full Natural Release (~45 mins). Open the lid carefully.
    • Strain Bone Broth: Strain bone broth through a colander or mesh strainer to discard the solids. Set aside the bone broth to cool. I never skim the fat!
    • Enjoy Bone Broth: Season with salt (if desired) and drink it directly, if drinking I will add just a small amount of butter to it. Or you can use the Bone Broth in place of stock.
    • Storage: Bone broth can be stored in the fridge for 3 - 5 days. I pour mine into 1 cup silicone molds and freeze it then I can pop out what I need! If you are freezing the bone broth, use within a year for best quality.

Last edited:
West African Stew

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons peanut oil
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
  • 1 pound chicken, cut into chunks (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 5 cups chicken stock
  • 3 small sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
  • 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with liquid
  • 1/4 pound collard greens, roughly chopped
  • 1 cup chunky peanut butter
Directions
  1. Heat the peanut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat; cook and stir the onion, garlic, and ginger in the hot oil until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken; cook and stir until completely browned. Season with the crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper. Pour the chicken stock over the mixture. Stir the sweet potatoes into the liquid and bring the mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover the pot partially with a lid, and cook at a simmer for 15 minutes.
  2. Stir the tomatoes, collard greens, and peanut butter into the soup. Partially cover the pot again and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, another 20 minutes.

Comforting Chicken & Noodles Crock Pot

Ingredients :
1 24 ounce package – frozen egg noodles
2 – 14.7 oz cans – cream of chicken soup – sometimes i use 1 can chicken and 1 can cream of celery
1 stick (1/2) cup butter – cut into pieces
1 – 32 oz chicken broth – may want extra to thin out, if too thick. the frozen noodles thicken the broth
mixed vegetables – optional – i didn’t use this time
Chicken buillon to taste – optional – i add about a teaspoon of better than buillion chicken flavored paste – for a richer chicken flavor
6 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 4 large
salt & pepper to taste – can add some parsley too if desire

Instructions

Salt & pepper chicken breasts and place in the bottom of crock pot. Spoon soup over the chicken. Cut butter into several pats and place pieces evenly over soup.
I whisk the bouillon with the broth and pour over soup.
Place lid on pot and turn to low. Cook for 6 hours.
Remove chicken and tear into pieces. Add back to pot.
Now add noodles and if adding veggies add now. Cook for another 2 hours or until noodles are desired tenderness. I stir a few times during last 2 hours. ( You may want to add more broth to thin out at the end of cooking, as the home made noodles thicken the broth, which we like. )
Sprinkle with parsley and mix in, if using at the end of cooking.
Salt & pepper if needed and Serve. Yum!

Avgolemono

Ingredients

1 (3 pound) whole chicken
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
salt and black pepper to taste
3 egg, beaten
2 lemons, juiced

Directions

Rinse the chicken and remove any organs that may be inside. Place in a pot large enough for the chicken to move around, but not too much room or the broth will be watery. Add the chicken neck if that is included with your chicken. Fill with enough water to cover by about 1 inch. Cover and bring to a boil. When boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, skimming the fat from the top as it collects.

When the chicken is done, the meat should pull from the bones easily. Transfer the bird to a large bowl and set aside to cool. Add the rice, and season the broth with salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat for 20 more minutes, or until rice is tender.

Whisk the eggs with the lemon juice in a bowl. When the rice is done, turn off the heat. Whisk one ladle full of hot broth into the eggs slowly so the eggs do not curdle. Gradually whisk in more broth until the egg mixture is heated. Then pour the egg mixture back into the pot, whisking briskly. The result should be a creamy, cloudy looking soup. You may season with additional salt, pepper or lemon juice at this point.

You may add pieces of chicken to the soup before serving or serve soup with salted chicken on the side.

Cauliflower Soup

1 lb Chicken or Beef
3 pounds of Cauliflower
chopped into rice sized pieces
1 package onion soup (or make your own base of any flavor like chicken or beef broth)
8 oz chicken tenders sliced
Butter
Oil either olive or corn
Salt & Pepper
Garlic granulated
Turmeric
Salt and pepper and garlic powder to taste.

in a stock pot sweat the cauliflower with butter
and a little water. Add in the soup mix and
a little water so you can stir it all together
Salt and pepper and garlic to taste.

Add in Enough water to make it simmer able...

I am guessing the whole deal was appx 2 or 3 cups water total.

Oh and turmeric... appx one tablespoon. I kind
of spilled the container...

Simmer till you smell the Cauliflower. and it is very tender

Saute the chicken tender slices in the pan with butter... They cook quickly so cook them just before serving the cauliflower.... Soup? Ragou?

Salt and pepper and garlic and poultry seasoning for the chicken.
Serve a bowl of the Soup top 1/3 of the chicken, and a couple of slices of sourdough bread.

TOMATO SOUP

1 ½ pounds good ripe tomatoes (Roma are best), cored and coarsely chopped
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt

1 jalapeno or other peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced, or red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste

STEP 1
Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring often.

STEP 2
Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use; this will keep at least a week.

So happy to see this thread! I love soup!

I found this recipe at a site called Ambitious Kitchen. Nearly all the tomatoes from my garden this year went to this soup, and it’s in the freezer in puree form. When I’m ready to make the soup, I’ll add the caramelized onions and vegetable stock. (Takes up less freezer space.)

Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

For Roasted Tomatoes
3 pounds roma or plum tomatoes, cut in half
8 cloves garlic, peeled
3 tablespoons olive oil
Freshly ground salt and pepper

For caramelized onions
½ tablespoon olive oil
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced

Additions to Soup
½ cup packed basil leaves
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1-2 cups water or vegetarian broth, depending on how thick you want the soup

Optional add ins
Light/regular coconut milk for a creamy vegan soup
Whole dairy milk/heavy cream for a creamy texture
Parmesan cheese, for a tangy flavor
A tablespoon or two of butter for richer flavor

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place halved tomatoes and garlic cloves on the baking sheet and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Generously season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes.

While tomatoes are roasting, you can make caramelized onions. Add ½ tablespoon olive oil to a large pot and place over medium heat. Add the onion slices and stir to coat the onions with olive oil. Cook, stirring occasionally. Check onions every 5-10 minutes until they have completely caramelized and turned golden in color. Usually takes 20 minutes.

Once tomatoes and garlic are done roasting, allow them to cool for 10 minutes, then add them to a food processor or high powered blender and blend until smooth (My note: I find that my stick immersion blender works best.) Next add basil and caramelized onions and blend again.

(My note: At this point, I put into a freezer container and froze for later use.)

After blending, transfer back to pot, turn to medium low heat and add in oregano, vegetarian broth, and salt and pepper to taste. From there you can add in any additional add-ons you want (as listed). Allow tomato soup to simmer 10 minutes before serving. To serve, garnish with parmesan cheese and serve with grilled cheese, if desired. Serves 4.

Back
Top Bottom