It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Well, nobody went home hungry from my house...or if they did it was their own fault...:gig!
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! đź’ž

I got busy right away making Turkey Stock in my Instant Pot. I have 10.5 cups of stock ready to go into the freezer! This makes an amazing base for soup! I'll post the recipe and the link to the site where it came from....this is the same site that has the bone broth recipe that I use!
These Silicone molds are perfect they hold 1c in each compartment!

View attachment 2426762View attachment 2426766

Chicken/Turkey Stock
  • 2 ½ pounds chicken carcasses
  • â–˘ 2 onions (keep the outer layers) , diced
  • â–˘ 2 ribs celery , diced
  • â–˘ 2 carrots , diced
  • â–˘ 2 bay leaves
  • â–˘ 4 garlic cloves , crushed
  • â–˘ 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
  • â–˘ 10 cups water
  • â–˘ Your favorite fresh herbs (I never add herbs, I wait until I'm making soup or whatever)
  • â–˘ 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (optional)

• 1 tablespoon salt (optional) This is my addition, I add it after I have strained the stock!

Instructions
  • Optional Step - Brown Chicken Carcasses: Brown the chicken carcasses in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker with 1 tablespoon of oil. This will slightly elevate the flavors and result in a brown stock. Then, add 100ml water to deglaze the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
  • Pressure Cook Chicken Stock: Add all ingredients in Instant Pot. Pressure cook at High Pressure for 1 hour (the longer the better), then Natural Release.
  • Strain & Cool Chicken Stock: Strain the chicken stock through a colander discarding the solids, then set aside to cool.

Fat Cap: Let the chicken stock sit in the fridge until the fat rises to the top and form a layer of gel. Then, skim off the fat on the surface. Or you can remove the fat cap when you use the chicken stock.

• Use or Freeze: You can use the stock immediately, keep it in the fridge, or freeze it for future use.
Storage:
  • Silicone Mold – We love freezing our chicken stock with this mold!! After they freeze in the mold, we pop them out and store them in ziploc freezer bags. It’s a great portion for many recipes, thaws quickly, and super convenient.
  • Ball Glass Jars – Since we love the silicone mold method, we've never used these specific jars before, but many users have recommended that this brand's wide-mouth straight jar design is great for freezing.
I was just coming on here wondering what I'm going to do with a couple quarts of homemade turkey stock.

Mine was similar but didn't have any bay leaves. I love making stock. Dig out what vegetables you have to build flavor. Use up stuff that was gonna go bad.

I was just coming on here wondering what I'm going to do with a couple quarts of homemade turkey stock.

Mine was similar but didn't have any bay leaves. I love making stock. Dig out what vegetables you have to build flavor. Use up stuff that was gonna go bad.
Homemade stock is so much better than anything you can get in the store...the depth of flavor is unmatched! I will probably keep some out and make a simple turkey and vegetable soup tomorrow!

Good afternoon everyone! I finally made some leftover turkey soup! I did a few cheats (microwave) making this as I wanted it done quickly, you can always cook the veggies in the soup on a slow simmer, but I really do recommend to pre-saute them!

Turkey, Mushroom & Vegetable Soup

1 quart Turkey Stock
1 cup Turkey Gravy (optional)
2 Tbls. Butter
2 cups Mushrooms sliced
1 cup Onion chopped
3/4 cup Carrot coins
1/2 cup Celery sliced or chopped

Add turkey stock and gravy into a 3 quart saucepan.

Saute mushrooms and onions in butter until golden brown and onions start to caramalize.

Place carrots and celery in a bowl and microwave 3 minutes, then add to the saute pan with the mushrooms and onions, cook about 5 minutes longer.

Add mushroom mixture to stock and simmer 5-10 minutes.

Season to taste...I found mine didn't need any as I add salt to my stock and the gravy also had salt in it!

You can also add any herbs or other vegetables that you like to have in your soup!
20201128_160016.jpg

Good afternoon everyone! I finally made some leftover turkey soup! I did a few cheats (microwave) making this as I wanted it done quickly, you can always cook the veggies in the soup on a slow simmer, but I really do recommend to pre-saute them!

Turkey, Mushroom & Vegetable Soup

1 quart Turkey Stock
1 cup Turkey Gravy (optional)
2 Tbls. Butter
2 cups Mushrooms sliced
1 cup Onion chopped
3/4 cup Carrot coins
1/2 cup Celery sliced or chopped

Add turkey stock and gravy into a 3 quart saucepan.

Saute mushrooms and onions in butter until golden brown and onions start to caramalize.

Place carrots and celery in a bowl and microwave 3 minutes, then add to the saute pan with the mushrooms and onions, cook about 5 minutes longer.

Add mushroom mixture to stock and simmer 5-10 minutes.

Season to taste...I found mine didn't need any as I add salt to my stock and the gravy also had salt in it!

You can also add any herbs or other vegetables that you like to have in your soup!View attachment 2429137

Your soup looks good Rene!

Great recipe!
We made almost the identical soup last night but instead of gravy we put in homemade cream of turkey. My wife made a sourdough bread and it is soooo good with the soup. That firm crust broke into pieces and soaking in that broth..... mmmm
I'm intrigued, how do you make cream of turkey?

Back
Top Bottom