It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Pics
Costa rican sopa de negra (black bean soup) is great any time of year. It is usually served with rice on the side and halved boiled eggs on top (sometimes cooked in the soup itself) so great for people with hens. It's black beans, chicken/vegetable broth, onion, garlic, celery, red pepper and coriander leaf. It's hearty enough to be a meal you can live on!

This turned out super yesterday
Homemade Sloppy Joes

Ingredients

• 1 ½ pounds extra lean ground beef
  • ½ onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1 cup water
  • ¾ cup ketchup
  • 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 ½ teaspoons salt, or to taste
  • ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper to taste
Directions

Step 1 Place ground beef and onion in a large skillet. Turn heat to medium and cook and stir the mixture constantly until the beef is browned and forms small crumbles, about 10 minutes.

Step 2 Stir in garlic and green bell pepper; cook and stir until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 cup water and stir, scraping the pan to dissolve any brown flavor bits from the bottom of the skillet.

Step 3 Mix in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, salt, and black pepper. Add 1 more cup water and return mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is thick, about 40 minutes.

Step 4 Season with salt , black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.

Want to step up a sloppy joe...add sliced avocado and a fried egg. We end up eating with a fork though, much too hard to pick up.

I think I saw this thread once and then forgot about it. I'll have to start following. We do a lot of good cooking around here, but in all honesty, soup is probably my favorite meal. Any soup is comfort food. When I was in the hospital, OHSU, they had the best mushroom soup. It was the best thing on the menu. This soup is good as a meal, but also, freezing it and using it in place of Campbells when you want to make green bean casserole, or to add to Beef Stroganoff for an extra punch, works great. I have used it as a sauce over chicken. It has amazing flavor. Maybe because of the shitakes, maybe just because there are so many mushrooms. It starts with a homemade vegetable broth, but any organic vegetable broth works fine imho.

Going to be reading this thread and trying some of your recipes!!! 😋

ETA: If you are uncomfortable about freezing milk or cream, just make it without and add that when you use it. I do use less when I'm freezing it, leaving it in a concentrated form, to add what I need for whatever I'm using it for.

Attachments

• Mushroom soup recipe (1).pdf
    99 KB · Views: 6
What a great idea! Thanks to all for the recipes :) One of my favorites recipes is
Southwestern Chicken & White Bean Soup
1 lb boneless chicken breasts, cubed
3/4 Cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1tsp ground cumin (use less if you don't want it spicy)
1 can (14 oz) Swanson chicken broth
1 cup fresh chunky salsa (canned will work too)
1 can (about 15 oz) small white beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
Brown chicken in a medium saucepot. Add onion, garlic and cumin and cook until onion is tender.
Add broth salsa, beans and corn. Heat to a boil, then reduce to low heat. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 min. Serves 6

Hi,
Winter I like to make thai curry, I do not have a specific recipe. There is many recipes and videos on the net.
The first time making curry from recipe on internet I ended up tossing it. I went to a different recipe and the third time I started getting what I wanted.
Like any recipe they can be changed to one's own preference.
I use allot of fresh garlic and fresh ginger.
I get all my ingredients ready.
Use stock pot couple tablespoons oil (i use olive oil) heat oil. Start with chopped onions cook till not quit translucent then put in garlic, ginger cook only till aromatic minute or 2. (do not burn)Put in favorite thai paste, keep stirring, Add in coconut milk then add in broth. Then I add vegetables.
I add vegetables on the amount time its takes took cook them. potatoes first and faster cooking vegetables last. Like green peppers or zucchini squash they cook fast. I dont want mushy vegetables so I try and time it.
I use 2 cans coconut milk and 2 to 4 cups broth, just depends how creamy a person wants it.
Do not need to use broth, but I prefer it. To rich for me without it.
I usually add about 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
I use a gas stove and it cooks hot this is why I like everything ready non stop once started.
I know this is somewhat vague, but once soup base is made you can put whatever you want in it. The possibilities are endless between the varied amount of herb and vegetables.

I have never used eggs in my curry, but think I will try. Why not.

Store bought thai paste can vary in how hot it is, One variety off red paste may not be so hot while the next will be very hot.

The red, green, and yellow paste will vary in ingredients.
Some recipes for curry on the net use fish sauce, fish sauce will add a dimension to the taste I usually do not use it because of the amount of salt.

Back
Top Bottom