It's the MOST wonderful time of the year!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HHandbasket, Feb 11, 2011.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

No, not Christmas.

THIS time of year. The sun's OUT, and it feels wonderful outside!

I am almost done getting my garden rows ready and have manually dug up pretty much 1/3 of my backyard to get ready for planting and it's looking really good. I LOVE the smell of my soil, so fresh and full of compost that's been brewin' all winter. I have been digging out earthworms and tossing them to my chookies for treats & they are just in little chickie worm-eating bliss.

Best part of all is I got to take my scoot and get outta the house a while today. This pic was taken last year, but it's me on my scoot... and today looks JUST like the day this pic was taken (but about 25 degrees colder LOL).

[​IMG]

Don't you just love the spring??? [​IMG]

Got hummingbirds at the feeder outside, cats sunning in the window, chickens dustbathing in their little "dustbowls" they've created for themselves in the floor of their run, the windows are all open, and I got to zip around town at 45 miles an hour on Bella Rosa for a while today.

You know what, though? It's only to keep me from sitting here with my nose pressed to the bator cuz we're in lockdown....

2. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    I'm not liking you so much right now...I woke up tp 5 degrees this morning! [​IMG]

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

We set a new record low Wed. night: -4 actual air temp. I know it gets lots colder in other places, but that's COLD for her. Ground is rock hard. Thinking of trying to do raised beds this year...

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    No its not its the worst time of year!Every one is getting the flu in our school and I might have it too!

5. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I'm here to give those of you in colder climates hope for the spring to come.

BTW, we get a little burst o'spring like this every year, but trust me, our winter ain't over. That's why I've got the ground ready but don't have the seeds in it just yet. Well, except for the cold weather stuff like spinach, arugula, and lettuces. Those are growing like CRAZY, especially the spinach and arugula.

The weatherfolks tell us our winter will be resuming by early next week, so I'm taking advantage of this little break in the cold while I can.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Cool scooter!

It is still cold here,and my 8yo just came down with the flu.Ugh. But my seed order came in, and the stores are getting the plant stuff out,so that is a cheery thing for me. Just a few more weeks and I can start poking around in my own yard!

Enjoy your spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by