Its venomous, aggressive, AND endangered...what do you do?

Sounds like you did what needed doing. Thank goodness. It amazes me how chickens know when things aren’t right. ( this is my 1rst year with chickens and I’m always amazed at how fast they spot something out of place or hide when someone they don’t know comes by)

My thoughts-worth 2 cents.
Everything like chicken.
There are all different kinds of animals everywhere.
As long as the critters stay out of MY space-they are OK.
Once they enter MY space-their fair game to dispose of as I see fit.
If a grass/ratsnake is outside he's left alone.
If it is in MY space-i deal with it.
The day after the rattler I got up around 4 and made coffee. I am famous for not turning lights on.
Saw something on the floor in front of kitchen sink-he's dead now

Attachments

• 20210722_040206.jpg
    20210722_040206.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210722_040211.jpg
    20210722_040211.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 15
We'uns in the South don't like varmints bothering our critters. Ain't got no use for a poisonous snake excepting to throw it at the tax man. Hold my tea, hun, there's a commotion going on at the coop. Southern women don't need no gun. Just give us a shovel and we'll take care of that varmint. We'll slaughter, shovel, and shut up right quick if need be. Bless your heart. I'll take my tea back if you don't mind. Does a body good to see such a polite young'un.
Love your thinkin southern sister!

We'uns in the South don't like varmints bothering our critters. Ain't got no use for a poisonous snake excepting to throw it at the tax man. Hold my tea, hun, there's a commotion going on at the coop. Southern women don't need no gun. Just give us a shovel and we'll take care of that varmint. We'll slaughter, shovel, and shut up right quick if need be. Bless your heart. I'll take my tea back if you don't mind. Does a body good to see such a polite young'un.
Love your thinkin southern sister!

2 ft Velvet tail.
He kept getting closer and closer. Within striking range.
Yesterday afternoon about 3, all my birds squawking and running from barn like they're lives were in danger. They gathered at the propane tank discussing it and looking at the barn.
We were on our way to town, I did not go to barn. I figured local kitty upset em. 2 hrs later, we're home, girls still by house.
7 o'clock I go to put them up, they follow me to barn then stop and start fussing.
2 fr velvet tail staring at me. I am between it and chickens. No protection nothing to defend myself except a 2 ft kids rake I use to clean coop.
I step back, it moves forward. Same thing again. He's within striking range.
What would YOU do?
I restrained him with kid rake called for help and relocated.
Just now killed a 🦂 in bathroom.
Not my day.
Stay safe
Crazy !! I have Bull snakes that get 6 7 feet long...but they are harmless..

I have to say = what a beautiful snake! I know a lot of people dislike snakes but they are a very vital part of the ecology around my chickens and in Florida we have many different species. I'm happy to have them because they eat bugs and mice and rats - all the things that invade a chicken coop and can cause problems. My chickens avoid the snakes, thus I don't worry about any chicken/snake interactions, and the girls make a big fuss when they see a snake so I know to go outside and investigate their Snake Call. The only snakes I remove from my property are the corn snakes I catch in the aviary who are big enough to eat my eggs (3-6 footers). Those I slip into a pillow case and drive 5 miles away and release in the wild away from human habitations. I'm glad to have the rattlers in my area because my closest neighbor leads a lifestyle that shall we say tends to attract rats and mice.

As for any unwanted bugs - I have my trusty fly swatter and an old coffee mug that I scoop the victim into. When the chickens see that coffee cup - they knew a treat is soon to drop their way!

I live in the Texas Hill Country and yeah, Scorpions are prevalent here but they won't kill you, unless it scares you to death. Lol. I use Ortho Home defense from Home Depot and it does a better job than the pest control people. I spray all the baseboards, around the furniture, (if I don't wanna move it), even the legs of the bed. The only scorpion I see now is either dead or going in circles, dying. We used to see about 5-8 a day. Even had them fall off the ceiling on us. One time, I had just got out of the hospital from an appendicectomy and was staying at my brothers' house, which was still under construction and one fell from the ceiling and stung me right were they had sown me up. You wanna talk about hurting!! Ouch!! I've probably been stung probably about 8 times, since moving here, mainly from not wearing gloves when working outside. It's just like a bee sting, well except for a red wasp bee sting, that hurts worse than a scorpion sting. I just put a lil bleach on the sting, wait a few minutes, then keep on trucking. :D

I've shot several diamond back rattlesnake on our property in the desert. Some were on the front porch where the kids were playing, some under the barbecue when the family was over, etc. Of course, everybody has to go in the house when anyone shoots a snake, for safety sake.
Just a few days ago I shot the biggest rattlesnake I've every seen, about 4.5' long and big around as my bicep, with 13 rattles. He was in a hedge the chickens forage under, and very near the water faucet I use every day. I disposed of the head, and even slit the belly lengthwise, but my chickens wouldn't eat it. Some hardy folks on BYC were encouraging me to cook and eat it, but I just can't keep my gag reflex down enough.
I don't harm rattlesnakes if I chance upon them in the desert or mountains, and I always feel apologetic when I shoot one in our yard. They never chase, and they only attack when threatened. They actually try to hide and always seem like, "please don't see me, please don't see me." But if I didn't, the next encounter with it (or its offspring) could be my grandchildren or dog or me simply walking past a shrub or picking a rose. I can't chance it.
The pistol load I use is like a birdshot (410L), so exact aim isn't as necessary and the multiple pellets kill them instantly. It's possible to kill a snake by spraying him in the face with fly spray, but that's a long, drawn-out death. I would only try to kill one with a hoe if my grandkids or dog's life depended on it. You have to get too close. I have run over them in our driveway.
Rattlesnakes, which aren't protected in Arizona, never travel more than about 3/4 mile in their whole lives. Experts say that relocating them usually doesn't work well--they suffer "higher rates of overwintering mortality." It does, however, give them more of a chance than the shotgun.
My neighbors tried to co-exist with the more dangerous Mojaves until they multiplied and finally made their yard a death trap. The neighbors reluctantly had to start shooting them.
I don't enjoy shooting a snake, but that's one less who will harm my family or hatch out dozens more under my porch. The good thing is that if you prevent them from breeding near your property, soon you see them less and less. In the 8 years we've been here, we shot 4 or 5 the first year, then maybe 1 or 2 a year in the following years. The one i just shot was the first rattlesnake I've seen on our property in two years.

Last edited:
I've shot several diamond back rattlesnake on our property in the desert. Some were on the front porch where the kids were playing, some under the barbecue when the family was over, etc. Of course, everybody has to go in the house when anyone shoots a snake, for safety sake.
Just a few days ago I shot the biggest rattlesnake I've every seen, about 4.5' long and big around as my bicep, with 13 rattles. He was in a hedge the chickens forage under, and very near the water faucet I use every day. I disposed of the head, and even slit it lengthwise, but my chickens wouldn't eat it. Some hardy folks on BYC were encouraging me to cook and eat it, but I just can't keep my gag reflex down enough.
I don't harm rattlesnakes if I chance upon them in the desert or mountains, and I always feel apologetic when I shoot one in our yard. They never chase, and they only attack when threatened. They actually try to hide and always seem like, "please don't see me, please don't see me." But if I didn't, the next encounter with it (or its offspring) could be my grandchildren or dog or me simply walking past a shrub or picking a rose. I can't chance it.
The pistol load I use is like a birdshot (410L), so exact aim isn't as necessary and the multiple pellets kill them instantly. It's possible to kill a snake by spraying him in the face with fly spray, but that's a long, drawn-out death. I would only try to kill one with a hoe if my grandkids or dog's life depended on it. You have to get too close. I have run over them in our driveway.
Rattlesnakes, which aren't protected in Arizona, never travel more than about 3/4 mile in their whole lives. Experts say that relocating them usually doesn't work well--they suffer "higher rates of overwintering mortality." It does, however, give them more of a chance than the shotgun.
My neighbors tried to co-exist with the more dangerous Mojaves until they multiplied and finally made their yard a death trap. They reluctantly had to start shooting them.
I don't enjoy shooting a snake, but that's one less who will harm my family or hatch out dozens more under my porch. The good thing is that if you prevent them from breeding near your property, soon you see them less and less. In the 8 years we've been here, we shot 4 or 5 the first year, then maybe 1 or 2 a year in the following years. The one i just shot was the first rattlesnake I've seen on our property in two years.
I agree-any snake in my territory is a dead snake.

Except King snakes, who kill and eat rattlesnakes! Once I thought I was running over a rattlesnake in my driveway. I backed up and ran over him a couple times, then saw in the headlights that I had killed my very helpful king snake!!!😔 Wish I could import some...

Back
Top Bottom