1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Itty Bitty Brahma

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Imachicklvr2, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Imachicklvr2

Imachicklvr2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Missouri
    Hi all, I need some advise on my gold-laced Brahma chick. Out of a clutch of nine shipped eggs it was the only one that hatched and it had to be helped because the membrane got stuck on its head. I am pretty sure that despite having 4 thermometers in my incubator I had temperature issues because this chick is seriously tiny. It is 2 1/2 weeks old now and just about the size of a small newly hatched chick. In fact, it is about the size of my Silkies when they were 2-days old. It eats well and it just starting to develop some primary feathers but it is just soooo tiny and not growing very quickly. I do not have any other chicks that I can put him with so I was considering finding a young chick (or two) to put with him so he has chicken friends and not just human friends. So I guess my questions are: do runty chicks ever survive long term and can they develop properly? and, would getting him a friend or two be good or are there potential issues? I really appreciate any insight. Thank you.

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    When a chick won't grow, it usually lives a short life in most cases. Don't give up to the bitter end, maybe its a bantam.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have you tried Poultry Nutri-drench? It's a high powered vitamin tonic, and it ought to give your chick a boost. However, baby chicks take their cue from their fellow chicks, and it may not be eating as much as you think because it isn't competing with other chicks for food.

Recently, I had just such a chick. It refused to grow, and by the fifth day, it was half the size of the others. I gave it crumbled tofu with Nutri-drench sprinkled over it as well as moistened chick crumbles also with Nutri-drench. It did the trick, and the chick began to grow and gain strength. But I could see it was stimulated to eat by the others. Your chick needs other chicks for its well-being, as well as a nutritional boost.

4. Imachicklvr2

May 27, 2013
    Missouri
    Thanks Whittni, I suspected as much but he has such a strong spirit that I will keep trying as long as he does. Do you think providing it with a friend or two could be bad in any way? Maybe a gentle bantam breed? I hate that he is alone. Here is the little guy(or girl, but I am pessimistic), this picture was taken today, he is 19 days old now.

[​IMG]

5. Imachicklvr2

May 27, 2013
    Missouri
    I haven't tried the Nutri-drench, I have been giving it Life-Lytes to drink and also wetting its food into a mash with it. I will look into the Nutri-drench and get some tofu. I tried feeding it scrambled eggs and hard boiled eggs but it was surprisingly uninterested. The reason I have held off on getting other chicks for it is because I was afraid it would get trampled. He doesn't have the greatest balance. I have chicks that are about a week older than this one and they are 3 to 4 times its size and quite the rowdy bunch so they would not work at all.

6. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Oh gosh... I would guess a 2 or 3 DAY old looking at that sweet little guy... don't give up, as long it's eating, drinking, moving normally, it's poop looks good.

I would get him a friend. Just looking at a picture of him, I feel like he's lonely :p

7. Imachicklvr2

May 27, 2013
    Missouri
    I know, me too :( His cuddle buddy it a fuzzy red sock. So sad. I hate seeing a chick by itself. I am already planning a trip to pick up a couple of chick friends next weekend. Chicken math again[​IMG]

8. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Well he's adorable and I feel just so bad for him, cuddling with a sock [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by