Cass

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Albany, NY
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
less than 3 weeks....maybe less than 2 weeks...not exactly sure
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
The poor little thing is laying on it's side and can't seem to keep it's eyes open
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Was never totally "normal" since I got it home this past Saturday. Layed on side. But was walking and I think it was eating and drinking. Definately pooing...on my hand just a few minutes ago
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, other 3 are fine
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing. Transportation from Breeder to person I bought it from all in less than 2 weeks?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Medicated chick feed, normal water...I have "twins" so I am not totally sure this chick has been eating, but something lavendar have been eating
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Soft, slightly runny...no blood
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Can't get it to accept anything. Have tried to get it to swallow "Save a chick"...vitamin and electorlyte suppliiment
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
No pic
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Rubbermaid tub (the HUGE kind), paper towels on bottom. Heat lamp over top. None of the other 3 are huddled up so I am pretty sure they have enough heat and enough space to get away if to hot.

I'm afraid if it won't eat or drink there's not much you can do. There is a thread linked in a sticky in the Raising Baby Chicks forum that talks at length about why we lose some of these young chicks.

I do not know the answer to this question. Hopefully someone with more experience will post. I am sending prayers and lots of hugs.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
. Please keep us updated. I know someone with more experience will post.

Try giving her some poly-vi-sol without iron. You can get it at the pharmacy. It's a vitamin supplement for babies that can help chickies, too. Make sure she is eating and drinking. Is her vent clear (no poop caked on her butt)?

Sometimes stress can cause things to manifest themselves that other wise wouldn't be a problem. Stress can weaken the immune system.

Too, as chicks grow physical problems manifest themselves. Just as humans organ problems grow and things take a turn for the worse.

It's an unfortunate thing we have to handle when we get chickens. I lost 3 out of 16 apparently fine chicks. Which is unusual.

I am sorry for your loss

Rancher

Quote:
She gagged and chocked on the vitamins. I switched to the "save a chick" product that has the same vitamins in it.

And beleive me her vent is clear. I have TWO spots on my pants where she pooed on me.
lau.gif

She isn't strong enough to walk over to eat. I tried yogurt and squished egg yoke. Can't get it in her beak. My timing is bad. She is still cheeping, just not a loud as her hatch mates.

Quote:
Not that. I have a brooder FULL of chicks with that. I am Very familiar with those symptoms, far more than I really wanted to be. That's why I am giving medicated feed to ALL the chicks in my care.

Quote:
Not that. I have a brooder FULL of chicks with that. I am Very familiar with those symptoms, far more than I really wanted to be. That's why I am giving medicated feed to ALL the chicks in my care.

Huh. I was told medicated feed does not work well.

Back
Top Bottom