I've become a chicken dad just 3 months ago. I am a keen newbie who has already benefitted from the forum posts here and now want to participate fully

AliBia

Chirping
Jul 12, 2023
In my early teens, back in Pakistan, we had chicken, but this time I have built a coop and have eight adults including a rooster and two rescue hens, five - three-month-old Swedish Flower Hen chicks, miraculous three; nearly month-old chicks via incubator, one little Sooty with her mamma Snowy, one of the hens brooding on seven eggs, and another seven eggs due to hatch on the 21st of this month. The adults free range, eat earthworms, snails, slugs, frogs, and even baby mice.

My learning curve has been exponential.

And now I am seeking advice. Three of my hens are producing a mixture of sounds between a hiccup, sneeze, and a cough. I'm at my wit's end seeing them at moments when they gasp. I thought it was gapeworm, and for the last five days, I have been giving them feed mixed with Flubenvet. I also thought it was perhaps bronchitis and administered VetRx as per suggestion. They are eating healthily, even laying almost every day. BUT it's distressing to see them when they cough, shake their heads, and gasp.

Please suggest what can be possibly the cause of this.

Attachments

• ALI_8509.jpg
    ALI_8509.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 244
  • ALI_8456.jpg
    ALI_8456.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 5
  • ALI_8447.jpg
    ALI_8447.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 6
  • ALI_8443.jpg
    ALI_8443.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 5
  • ALI_8025.jpg
    ALI_8025.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 5
  • ALI_8027.jpg
    ALI_8027.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 6
  • ALI_8031.jpg
    ALI_8031.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 7
I am so sorry I don’t have the experience to help you with this. Hopefully others will. I just wanted to welcome you to BYC and say you have some lovely looking chickens.
Thank you RC for welcoming me into the community. Hopefully, others with more experience will be able to help.

Sorry you're having trouble with your chickens! Welcome to BYC!!!

If you post a video to youtube of what the chickens are doing, then post a link to the video on this thread, members here can take a look and help you out.
I will definitely take your advice FC. It's 10.30pm in London England right now. I was keen to join the community and share my ordeal, will certainly film the hens in the morning and share a video link.

I will definitely take your advice FC. It's 10.30pm in London England right now. I was keen to join the community and share my ordeal, will certainly film the hens in the morning and share a video link.
Here is the cough/hiccup/sneeze moment that Camila obliged to the video.

Could be respiratory illness. Since the OP is in the UK they would need to consult a vet for medications.

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Work on hydration and keep her eating.
thanks for getting back WR. i checked her crop this morning, she's super hydrated and is eating fine too. perhaps the flubenvet, recommended by a friend has worked for the moment as she is coughing considerably less frequently. unfortunately i have not been able to find any avian vets around here.

Back
Top Bottom