I've been had!!!

thanks for all the messages!! They make me feel a little better.

In response to the chourkey comments...he told me when he killed a turkey, he took sperm out of the sperm sac, drilled a small hole in a chicken egg, and waxed it over and hatched it. This is how he called it a chourkey.

He said that it doesn't work going the other way (chicken sperm/turkey egg)

not sure about the naked-neck or turken, but it sounds like he crossed them successfully, I saw them with my own eyes. They weren't very pretty either....
tongue.png

Its rare that local farmers sex their chicks at any reliable rate, or that they offer a great variety of breeds to choose from.

I pay about 73-80 dollars per 25 chicks that I order, theres usually a couple packing peanuts included, but I buy on average 4-5 different breeds at a time.

I dont think you were had at all, I think its the normal going rate for pullet chicks of various breeds.

If that farmer has the same exact breeds as the ones you already ordered then I'd say you've paid more than needed.

I usually pay about 3.00 a chick on average, and generally I sell them for 10-15 dollars a pullet, or 5 dollars a chick for the brooder. And people pay that much happily.

Dont worry about it. Some times you have to pay for what you want, and its worth it in the long run.

Problem with 1000 chickens free ranging and housed in an open pole barn - you're not gonna get purebreds. Had a local poultry guy bring me a Black Australorp Rooster because we're friends and I had BA pullets at the time. I had to SHOW HIM it was not purebred. BA's don't have yellow feet. It was CLOSE, but not purebred. It is what the poultry fellars out here think of as a BA without ever being able to tell you the standard for them.

If he's keeping his stock open penned then he's offering mixes that approximate the look of a breed, not the breed itself.

He doesn't know the standard for partridge markings, doesn't know that Rocks should have five points and a straight blade comb.

While I love him. He's never ever even seen the APA standard for any breed.

And while he produces a LOT of chickens and goats and turkeys and pigs and has for decades - I don't get my chickens there.

Sure, you'll pay more for sexing and shipping but hopefully they're a little closer to the standard and a little more accurate than straight run.

I buy straight run and twice what I want to end up with. It pretty much works out to the same price as all pullets, no other breed peanuts and I have more to cull down to the best ones. More options, better choices.

Nah you did fine. If he's open pen and open ranging you couldn't get a purebred on a dare.

I paid $1.59 - $2.15 for each of mine depending on the breed. I did pick mine up from a local small hatchery that is about 15 miles from me.

Back
Top Bottom