ive decided to have an endelss suppy of food, but what kind.

I decided not to PM you because this information pertains to the thread topic. I have also added how I ferment my grains because sometimes is difficult to get the information you need on good but very long and meandering threads.

One of the fermenting feed threads: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/715995/fermenting-feed-for-layers there are others including one for meat birds,

This thread is an excellent source for the benefits of fermenting and has lots of other priceless information (and wisdom) on "natural" flock care: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...nt-to-follow-their-progress/1050#post_9800944

Be aware that different people do this different ways and mine is not the only way and might not even be the best way. Please read up before you decide how you want to proceed.

What I did was get two (two gallon) buckets and poke a few holes into the side of one that I then put it inside the other. I filled it with grain (currently whole oats) warm water and a few spoons of active culture yogurt (add a slash of ACV if you want) the let it sit UNCOVERED on the counter until it started to ferment. In warm weather you can skip the starter and just leave the opened bucket outside to catch spores from the air, The whole oats took 4 days to start fermenting, ground grains will be quicker,

When I use some off the top I replace the same amount in the bottom after dumping the already fermenting grain into the outside bucket, adding more grain to the bottom of the inside bucket then dumping the already fermenting grain and liquid on top. This way the most fermented grain is always on top and the starter (yogurt) is already well active, though you may need to add warm water now and then to keep the grains covered. The holes on the inside bucket are to drain off the fluid, handy if you make one batch at a time. The starter liquid can be reused until it starts to smell funky.

After loosing a seemingly healthy hen and then finding my coop floor with diarrhea AFTER treating the rest with Sulmet, I decided to care for my hens the way my father did years ago so stopped free feeding two weeks ago. Now I put it out in the morning and late afternoon and pick up what wasn't eaten in half an hour, though I am not sure that I will keep doing this once the hens are penned up in the run more and can't forage as 1. my two Buff Orps are both serious chow hounds 2. I think the hens would get bored in the run if they didn't have anything to scratch, so I will likely put the scraps into the run to keep them busy.

PS if your grocery already has someone taking there left overs try a near by restaurant, preferably one that has a salad bar. The chickens can safely eat anything that you eat and will pick around what they doing want and you can add what they leave to your compost.

Last edited:
I feed Merrick. Grain free, locally grown, no ingredients from China. I have fed Solid Gold in the past. It doesn't take much time to read and understand what's in what you are buying. Good food makes a big difference.

I completely agree but in my experience people don't spend nearly enough time time considering the source of there own food much less their pets food so I try to put the information out there when ever I get the opportunity.

Many of my friend have become converts to high quality pet food, not because my dogs have extremely healthy, have great skin and beautiful coats... it's when they realize how little poop (both volume and size) we have to deal with four dogs including a 13 year old 120 pound Komondor.

I decided not to PM you because this information pertains to the thread topic. I have also added how I ferment my grains because sometimes is difficult to get the information you need on good but very long and meandering threads.

One of the fermenting feed threads: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/715995/fermenting-feed-for-layers there are others including one for meat birds,

This thread is an excellent source for the benefits of fermenting and has lots of other priceless information (and wisdom) on "natural" flock care: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...nt-to-follow-their-progress/1050#post_9800944

Be aware that different people do this different ways and mine is not the only way and might not even be the best way. Please read up before you decide how you want to proceed.

What I did was get two (two gallon) buckets and poke a few holes into the side of one that I then put it inside the other. I filled it with grain (currently whole oats) warm water and a few spoons of active culture yogurt (add a slash of ACV if you want) the let it sit UNCOVERED on the counter until it started to ferment. In warm weather you can skip the starter and just leave the opened bucket outside to catch spores from the air, The whole oats took 4 days to start fermenting, ground grains will be quicker,

When I use some off the top I replace the same amount in the bottom after dumping the already fermenting grain into the outside bucket, adding more grain to the bottom of the inside bucket then dumping the already fermenting grain and liquid on top. This way the most fermented grain is always on top and the starter (yogurt) is already well active, though you may need to add warm water now and then to keep the grains covered. The holes on the inside bucket are to drain off the fluid, handy if you make one batch at a time. The starter liquid can be reused until it starts to smell funky.

After loosing a seemingly healthy hen and then finding my coop floor with diarrhea AFTER treating the rest with Sulmet, I decided to care for my hens the way my father did years ago so stopped free feeding two weeks ago. Now I put it out in the morning and late afternoon and pick up what wasn't eaten in half an hour, though I am not sure that I will keep doing this once the hens are penned up in the run more and can't forage as 1. my two Buff Orps are both serious chow hounds 2. I think the hens would get bored in the run if they didn't have anything to scratch, so I will likely put the scraps into the run to keep them busy.

PS if your grocery already has someone taking there left overs try a near by restaurant, preferably one that has a salad bar. The chickens can safely eat anything that you eat and will pick around what they doing want and you can add what they leave to your compost.

this is great thank you so much, can i PM you for any future questions on fermenting. P.S your first link didn't work.

I am a HUGE fermented feed fan.... My hens have done so well since I began fermenting their feed... I also FF for my meat chickens and the cost has been half what I would have spent by feeding dry.. and I have added grains!!!!

Couple pieces of advice... that I found work best for me... I ferment pellets not crumbles.. the crumbles just break down too much. Make sure the ACV you use has the Mother in it.

I like to buy grains and mix them... I personally started by just fermenting the grain Mix for my Layers and Free fed the pellets in a hanging feeder. They get the grains once a day. Now one thing I found is that some times my girls will eat the grains and ignore the layer pellets.. Silly birds.. they know whats good. So I switched to 2 buckets.. One for pellets and one for grains.. It makes a little more work.. but it s A LOT easier to drain out .

I also had some Alfalfa cubes left over from our Rabbits... I started tossing a few of those in with the grains.. The girls love it esp this time of year when the grass has died down and the snow is coming:)

OOPS Im sorry I forgot to give you the link to the FF thread... OOPS

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds/1270#post_9675685

I really cant reccomend trying this enough at first it may seem like a lot of effort.. But once you get a system down.. it really goes fast. I have not only saved a lot of money doing this. But It has allowed me to feed my flocks higher quality feeds, variety, and much better health of the flocks.. Its a win win.

DH and I disagree on this topic but I'm the 'primary chicken tender' ( no gross pun intended there ) so they are normally fed and watered 'my way'.

I have 70 chickens ( pullets and roos - too many roos and need to 'process' but we haven't got the nerve up yet ) - and I want them to have pellets
available so they can 'self regulate' which they do seem to do but boy do they eat a lot!!! I feed premium layer pellets that contain both pre and pro
biotics and mix in about 1/4 premium 'gamebird' feed which is pretty much like 'scratch' with some high protein pellets in it.

I have large waterers in their coop and runs and I clean them out and fill to the top daily between 10 and 11 a.m. I always put 'real' apple cider vinegar
in with their water as well and my chickens have never had to be wormed or had any other infestation - big and healthy and happy as clams! Girls are
just starting to lay but eggs and shells are very good quality but on small side which is normal for layers that are just starting. Around 4-5 p.m. I
recheck feeders and waterers - normally no water is needed so just tip to clean out the water tray using my 'rubber-gloved' hands as well.

All of my feeders are hanging so I usually have to give them a small amount of feed in the PM as they will soon be going to roost for the night.

DH believes that they should only be fed what they will totally 'finish off' in about 1/2 hour twice per day and 'that's it'. Don't know who is 'right'
I just know what seems to make my flock seem the most content and healthy.

Elaine

DH believes that they should only be fed what they will totally 'finish off' in about 1/2 hour twice per day and 'that's it'. Don't know who is 'right'
I just know what seems to make my flock seem the most content and healthy.

I have been considering doing this for awhile now but I feel like I am not sure if feeding them twice a day will be enough - in a perfect world I think your way is the best. But, I currently have a ridiculous wild city bird issue and they are driving my feed expenses up. I also don't want all those little sparrowy birds bringing anything nasty to my coop and ending up with disease or parasites. I built a treadle feeder but my poor silkie just can not seem to figure it out. derp derp.

I want to free range and free feed and am not sure what is best to do. arg.

OOPS Im sorry I forgot to give you the link to the FF thread... OOPS

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds/1270#post_9675685

I really cant reccomend trying this enough at first it may seem like a lot of effort.. But once you get a system down.. it really goes fast. I have not only saved a lot of money doing this. But It has allowed me to feed my flocks higher quality feeds, variety, and much better health of the flocks.. Its a win win.

thank you so much, i will definantly try it, i just dont under stand how ill save money if i still have to buy the pellets and so much oats.

Back
Top Bottom