I've finally got me some Mountain Quail eggs!! Anyone else raise them?

That's a good idea with the plexiglass. I'll have to give it a try in the future. What I do if I need to get my chicks to feed is I use a taxidermy mountain quail and make it peck at the food. The chicks see it pecking and start pecking at the food too. Once they taste that the crumbs is food, they'll start eating from there on.

DROWE005
How did your hatch go with your Mountain Quail? Hope you don't mind my asking.
The hatch turned out pretty good. Out of the 12 eggs I received, I had had 8 hatch which I was very happy with being that they were shipped from Utah to Virginia. Out of the the 8 who hatched, one was born blind, who as expected ending up dieing. But the other 7 ended up doing great. In 2 days I'll be receiving a pair of Mearns which Im really looking forward to and getting excited about.

OH my Lord---you did great with the hatch. Keep us posted with progress as because of your post I have become interested. Just don't know if I could do the small laying season. I got away from the "laying season" birds a long time ago and not sure if I want to go there again. But they sure are pretty.

Drowe005 is pretty lucky for getting a good hatch this year. I remember reading somewhere else that this year was just bad for hatching mountain quail if an incubator was used. All of mines that were incubated failed to hatch. They would develop and before 15 days, they would then quit. I know the parent birds were in good condition because I fed them lots of protein (meal worms) before and during egg laying. The females had enough oyster shells for calcium. But, the fertile laid eggs just failed to fully develop. The only way how I got a few chicks this year was to use a broody bird. Maybe my incubator is becoming bad (although there were no signs of temperature swings and what not).

Nice. In the video, with the 2 sand-bathing, is the one with the short plume a male and the longer plume the female?

The Females usually have Brownish patch behind plumage and males are all blue head.
Yes, I'm aware of the coloring behind the neck. In your video, if there were just 2 birds, then maybe you might be able to correct me but I realize that there may be more birds than the 2 birds and so it may be difficult. I'm just trying to hone my identification skills and go beyond the normal "brown patch behind neck = female and blue behind neck = male".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom