I've lost 2

PatmosRuby

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 27, 2008
Patmos, GA
Saturday, I let the chickens out to free range, I was working in the yard so I thought nothing could go wrong, well went to put them up and noticed 1 was missing, found feathers but no chicken. Don't know what it could have been, thinking a fox was told neighbor had seen one a couple of weeks back at their place. Today the kids and I go to take care of chickens and do a few chores when we see 1 chicken out and another trying to get out under the fence. Got to counting chickens and I'm down 1, our favorite white frizzle, Porsha, we looked and looked, couldn't find anything, not even feathers. Call DH and tell him when he gets home we're going to have to fix fence, when he gets home I'm on the 4 wheeler going thru the field and the field across the road looking for any signs(did find feathers), he calls and tells me to come on the chicken is gone, he makes me so mad some times. Anyway, we fixed the fence(hope it's good enough), going to put up an electric fence this weekend, I may have to force DH he's already trying to come up with reasons not too. Don't like loosing my chickens, I got to put a stop to this thing.

Sounds like a fox, they are bold and probably like the easy meals for their kits. A good fence that is chicken proof, with a skirt to prevent digging, will probably cure the problem but fox can be quite determined and a rifle or traps may be needed.

I had the very same thing happen to us. We also have lost 2. The girls found a way to squeeze out. We fixed the fence, but then one weekend they were "free ranging" for just an hour or so before night time and when we counted heads, one hen was missing. Never found a thing. Yesterday the other half came home to find a coyote standing right next to the hen house! The poor girls were hysterical....screeching hens and feathers flying. They all ran into the hen house and didn't come out of it the rest of the day. He ran the coyote off and our neighbour vows to shoot it...he's ex-military and a good shot....has also lost chickens lately...but I'm a nervous wreck wondering what will happen when we're not at home.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Hawks are likely predators. They swoop down very quickly and grab chickens, often leaving large piles of feathers. I don't know if your coop has a roof or not, but if not it was probably a hawk. We haven't had any problems with foxes. It also could've been a raccoon, but I'm not sure.

Electric fence will probably do the trick but if you still have problems use some steel foottraps and chickens parts like livers and gizards to bait it with

Back
Top Bottom