I've lost three birds in one day....

Alexandra33

Chook Snuggler
9 Years
Apr 3, 2015
Northwest Ohio - The Buckeye State!
....and all with the same neurological symptoms. I simply can't pinpoint what's going on. One minute, they're acting completely normal, and the next, on death's doorstep. Fluffed up, eyes closed, zero balance, and wobbly. My hen who passed last night experienced multiple seizures before giving up the ghost.
I'm not sure if this information factors in, but -
Every victim has been an OEGB.
Our state suffered a sudden cold snap that's lasted a couple days. Although, the first death involved a hen who has survived through two winters.
I keep 12 guineas in the same coop with a flock of chickens and ducks, but there haven't been any visible signs of injury.

My heart is absolutely broken right now. :hit As awful as it may sound, I handle losing a hen pretty well, but two roosters.....it's simply too much. A good boy is worth his weight in gold.

~Alex

I just wanted to say that I am so terribly sorry for your loss. Unfortunately I am not much help but I know there are plenty of knowledgeable people around here who can help you. Have you thought about Marek's? I'm not sure if it would take its course that quickly, but it's a possibility.

Best of luck.
Thank you so much. :hugs

I actually have. Like I said a little earlier, Marek's has made its rounds in my flock over the years. :( Mainly in the form of eye color change and pupil irregularity.

~Alex

I would keep the bodies cool in plastic bags overnight, and contact the state poultry pathologist early tomorrow, to arange for a necropsy. It would be very unusual to lose 3 birds in 1 day even if one had Mareks in the flock. I would look at and smell the feed, looking for mold or a blue green color and “off” odor. Try to figure out if there has been some sort of poison sprayed on the yard or around the coop. One person lost a whole coop of birds when they put in a new water system, from the adhesive in the pipes. Teflon in some heat lamps not meant for poultry can produce toxic fumes and kill chickens. So sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss. I just recently lost several hens and a rooster, and losing the roo was hard enough. I don't know what I would-not that I could have done anything-have done if I lost them both.
This reminds me of Newcastle Disease. I haven't personally had it, but I had a sickness and was doing some research and came across this disease and I found it sad and intriguing.
http://www.poultryhub.org/health/disease/types-of-disease/newcastle-disease/

Ohio state poultry vet only charges $23 for a necropsy if you bring in the body M-F to the lab. It is in Reynoldsburg near Columbus. Additional testing may cost more. I would be a little concerned about something more serious than Mareks. The list below has the contact infor for Ohio:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Thanks to all for the invaluable information and kind words. :hugs I'm especially touched that you went to the trouble of gathering local sources for necropsy. Sadly, my family already disposed of the bodies before we even thought of testing. If any more pass, I'll be sure to get to the bottom of this.

Their feed is fresh from the plant, and lacks mold, thank goodness! Also, no pesticides/poisons are allowed on the property, so this can be ruled out. :) It's all very confusing.

As it turns out, I was a little premature in my statement. Only two passed.....my sweet little Tiny Titan (shown in the videos) survived overnight, and is now back to normal. He's currently being spoiled rotten until it's time to rejoin the flock.
DSCN2782.JPG DSCN2792.JPG
I'm keeping a close eye on everybody for the present. Fingers crossed nobody else falls ill. :fl

Oh, @RooandherRooster , it breaks my heart to hear of this. My deepest condolences for your loss. :hugs

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom