I've made a discovery today...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Manda0227, May 20, 2010.

1. Manda0227

Manda0227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    This is my first year raising chicks and chickens. First of all. To anyone who asks- ITS A LOT OF WORK!! However, its "fun" work. To me. I spent 4 hours of my only day off this week (today) taking care of all my chicks, chickens, cats, and dog. Weekly chores. It was nice to spend time with all of them today. It was sort of relaxing. It probably would've only taken me an hour or so- but they're all so distracting and awesome. My discovery I made today- as much as I love little chicks and their fuzzy butts- I'm loving the older chickens better! Luckily for me chicks grow into chickens! [​IMG] lol I didn't know if I'd be the same way I am with puppies and kittens (They're cute for about 3 days with me, and then I can't wait for them to grow up!), but I am. My older girls are so funny, and they love being outside. I need to figure out how to use my fiance's camera.. I could've got some awesome pics of them running and dropping in the sun. Its so funny to watch. Okay, Im done sharing. Thats all this post was, a sharing post!

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    That is so cool! I Love spending time with my chickens , they always make me fill so good inside. I love to watch them chase bugs and scratch around etc.!!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I keep a plastic lawn chair IN the run, as well as three in a row just outside of the run. (The latter are used when I have visitors.)

Otherwise, I sit in the run with the chickens whenever I have the time. Bring my can o' diet Pepsi and maybe my cigarettes. (The butts go in my pockets!) Usually I have my cell phone with me, not because I'm afraid of missing calls, but because it has a pretty good camera. [​IMG]

I get so much positive relaxation watching them. They tell me chicken stories, I talk to them by name. Bernadette jumps in my lap to tell me HER latest story. Betsy, who is just 4 months old now, will be doing the same very soon. Right now, she wants me to pick her up, still. Everybody else will "touch bases" with me as they go about doing their chicken-y tasks. I cannot believe how backed-up I get on my (former) amount of television watching; my DVR fills up now, and it never did that BC - before chickens!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yes, I still Ooohhh and Awwww over everyone's baby chicks because they're so cute, but like you, I prefer my hens over when they were babies. Their personalities are just so distinct now. I keep a fold-up chair in my coop too. [​IMG]

5. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Sitting in the run, being pooped on and perched oon and pecked at is a wonderful part of my day. I love the sun drop too. They look completely disjointed. Watching chickens is theraputic.

6. Ady Road Chicks

Ady Road Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    I am sorry for my ignorance but....what is a sun drop?

7. Chickadee3

Chickadee3 New Egg

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't know what a sun drop is either. I would really like to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by