Ivermectin / Mites Questions

NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez Poultry
10 Years
Dec 27, 2009
Casa Grande
My Coop
My Coop
We've had mite control issues on and off and when I recently placed a Jeffers Livestock order I found some Ivermectin 1.87% paste for Horse worming. It was only a couple bucks so I ordered it hoping I could use it to treat for mites if/when we have another mite outbreak. (If I can't use it, I can give it to someone with a horse).

How much should be given to juvenile chicks?
How much to adults?
Is there an Egg withdrawal period?

I know it can be used on adult chickens at least. For rabbits, which have one of the most sensitive systems, it's 1 rice-grain size dot per 4-5 pounds of body weight, using the 1.87%. I've been wondering the dosage, too, for chickens. I'm thinking the same size dose for chickens as rabbits sounds about right. Waiting 30 days after dosing is what's recommended for meat rabbits. I don't know about eggs, though.

Last edited:
there is a post some place that tells how much to use. I think it is just a small amt. under the wing. there is a 14 day waiting period for eating eggs. Ivermectin can also be used for worming. You might be able to use 7's powder for mites and then you don't need to with draw from eggs.

You mean I'm the only one?
hit.gif

Quote:
Equine pastes containing ivermectin usually have another wormer in it like praziquantel, moxidectin or fenbendazole/panacur. You will be treating for mites with ivermectin and worming them. The dosage for equine pastes containing ivermectin is a "BB" size amount for each chicken, given orally. You are still going to have to dust your coop, nests, roosts. In 10 days you're going to have redust your coop, nests, roosts to kill nits that have hatched from eggs since the first dusting. By using the equine wormer, there is a 14 day egg wtihdrawal. Dont feed them back to your chickens, there is residue in the eggs and you'll be extending the withdrawal period.

Quote:
Equine pastes containing ivermectin usually have another wormer in it like praziquantel, moxidectin or fenbendazole/panacur. You will be treating for mites with ivermectin and worming them. The dosage for equine pastes containing ivermectin is a "BB" size amount for each chicken, given orally. You are still going to have to dust your coop, nests, roosts. In 10 days you're going to have redust your coop, nests, roosts to kill nits that have hatched from eggs since the first dusting. By using the equine wormer, there is a 14 day egg wtihdrawal. Dont feed them back to your chickens, there is residue in the eggs and you'll be extending the withdrawal period.

Glad to hear it's 14 days for chickens & not 30.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom