Ivermectin & permethrin both??

melissammh

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 10, 2010
North Eastern Ontario
I continue to suffer with a TERRIBLE mite infestation I can't get on top of.

I have tried Bronco spray, Ectiban via rx from a poultry vet (which seems to do absolutely nothing).
I've cleaned and scrubbed everything as much as I can (birds are inside a large, older barn).

But I'm -5 C in Northern Ontario now and it's harder to clean everything and/or scrub the birds themselves.

Has anyone used Ivermectin & permethrin together??
Ivermectin pour-on the birds themselves and permethrin in the coop?

I realize there's a million threads on here re: mites. I wish we could get Elector PSP here in Canada.
Any other advise appreciated!

I continue to suffer with a TERRIBLE mite infestation I can't get on top of.

I have tried Bronco spray, Ectiban via rx from a poultry vet (which seems to do absolutely nothing).
I've cleaned and scrubbed everything as much as I can
Has anyone used Ivermectin & permethrin together??
Ivermectin pour-on the birds themselves and permethrin in the coop?
A couple of months ago I was dealing with some of these nasty buggers. I used permethrin spray in the coop + run 3 weeks in a row.

For the girls, I did the permethrin spray 2 weeks in a row and ivermectin pour on for the 3rd week.

After the 3rd week where I used Ivermectin on the girls and permethrin spray in the coop(again), I have had no further issues.

The reason I switched was because the permethrin spray seemed to cause some awful, raw skin irritation for several of my birds under their wings. I had to treat that to make sure they didn't get an infection from that issue and I will not use the permethrin spray on them again unless it is 100% last resort. Editing to say: I'm not sure if this is a common problem or if it was the type of permethrin I used, but it was .5 and sold in the poultry section so... 🤷🏼‍♀️

Last edited:
A couple of months ago I was dealing with some of these nasty buggers. I used permethrin spray in the coop + run 3 weeks in a row.

For the girls, I did the permethrin spray 2 weeks in a row and ivermectin pour on for the 3rd week.

After the 3rd week where I used Ivermectin on the girls and permethrin spray in the coop(again), I have had no further issues.

The reason I switched was because the permethrin spray seemed to cause some awful, raw skin irritation for several of my birds under their wings. I had to treat that to make sure they didn't get an infection from that issue and I will not use the permethrin spray on them again unless it is 100% last resort. Editing to say: I'm not sure if this is a common problem or if it was the type of permethrin I used, but it was .5 and sold in the poultry section so... 🤷🏼‍♀️
Thank you, I'll have to try something similar!

I've had good success with topical ivermectin but haven't used permethrin. Good luck getting on top of those mites!
Thank you! These mites are IMPOSSIBLE. I have about 40 birds, plus geese and ducks. I've been working on eradicating mites for months and just when I think I'm ahead - I see a hen looking wobbly... mites :(

Thank you! These mites are IMPOSSIBLE. I have about 40 birds, plus geese and ducks. I've been working on eradicating mites for months and just when I think I'm ahead - I see a hen looking wobbly... mites :(
Oof, that sounds like quite the feat! I have a small backyard flock so I am able to do quick spot checks regularly, but a vet friend with a larger flock applies topical ivermectin prophylactically every 6 months to all her birds just to keep all parasites in check since it can be hard to detect outbreaks early.

Ivermectin should be used once and again in 10-14 days to get the newly hatched. Dosage of the pour on 5 mg per ml is 0.1 ml for each 2 pounds of weight. What strength are you using? Mites hatch about every 5-7 days, so retreatment is need one or two times. If the mites in the coop are not being killed, and they can live in all of the cracks and crevices, under roosts, etc, so everything has to be treated once all bedding is removed.

Can someone show a picture or a link of the pour on ivermectin they are using? I have a couple of birds who look like they have scaly leg mites. I've tried treating them but I have a difficult set up because they roost in the rafters of the coop so I can't reach them easily without a ladder (not to mention trying not to get pooped on....). I'd rather use a pour-on ivermectin instead of trying to coat their feet in vaseline every day. It's a one and done, right?

Ivermectin should be used once and again in 10-14 days to get the newly hatched. Dosage of the pour on 5 mg per ml is 0.1 ml for each 2 pounds of weight. What strength are you using? Mites hatch about every 5-7 days, so retreatment is need one or two times. If the mites in the coop are not being killed, and they can live in all of the cracks and crevices, under roosts, etc, so everything has to be treated once all bedding is removed.
I haven't tried Ivermectin yet, so hoping this will be the silver bullet I'm looking for.
I'm going to pick up some of the 5mg/ml today from my local feed store.
My biggest issue is that I can spray the roosts and walls in their individual stalls in my barn, but it's a huge, older wooden structure, so I know I'm not going to be able to eradicate the mites completely. Unfortunately :(

Can someone show a picture or a link of the pour on ivermectin they are using? I have a couple of birds who look like they have scaly leg mites. I've tried treating them but I have a difficult set up because they roost in the rafters of the coop so I can't reach them easily without a ladder (not to mention trying not to get pooped on....). I'd rather use a pour-on ivermectin instead of trying to coat their feet in vaseline every day. It's a one and done, right?
Here is the pour-on Ivermectin I use, purchased from a feed store: https://www.durvet.com/product/ivermectin-pour-on/

Back
Top Bottom