Ivermectin & permethrin both??

I continue to suffer with a TERRIBLE mite infestation I can't get on top of.

I have tried Bronco spray, Ectiban via rx from a poultry vet (which seems to do absolutely nothing).
I've cleaned and scrubbed everything as much as I can (birds are inside a large, older barn).

But I'm -5 C in Northern Ontario now and it's harder to clean everything and/or scrub the birds themselves.

Has anyone used Ivermectin & permethrin together??
Ivermectin pour-on the birds themselves and permethrin in the coop?

I realize there's a million threads on here re: mites. I wish we could get Elector PSP here in Canada.
Any other advise appreciated!
You mentioned using permethrin. Are you using it often enough?
You really need to treat both the coop and the birds weekly for no less than three straight weeks.

Yes you can use ivermectin and permethrin at the same time.
If you do not use enough of either it is the same as not using at all to begin with.

Which exact ivermectin product do you have?

Thank you! How much do you use per bird?
Poultry DVM recommends 0.2-0.4 mg/kg for chickens (http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/ivermectin). The product I linked has a concentration of 5 mg/mL and my hens (adult standard chickens) weigh roughly 3 kg. Given the concentration of the medicine and the size of my birds, I want each hen to receive about 1 mg of ivermectin, which is about 0.2 mL of the product. I use a small syringe with the needle removed to better measure small volumes.

Make sure to take a good look at the product first and take into account the size of your animals. I'm happy to help with unit conversions if needed.

You mentioned using permethrin. Are you using it often enough?
You really need to treat both the coop and the birds weekly for no less than three straight weeks.

Yes you can use ivermectin and permethrin at the same time.
If you do not use enough of either it is the same as not using at all to begin with.

Which exact ivermectin product do you have?
I haven't used permethrin yet, and the ivermectin is the 5mg/ml (I have to pick up both from my local feed store tonight) I'm in Canada, so I think my permethrin options are limited (except for very diluted quantities)
I was really hoping the Ectiban would do the trick since it was from a vet and $$$ but I think the Bronco fly spray I used before for $10 was more effective lol.

Poultry DVM recommends 0.2-0.4 mg/kg for chickens (http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/ivermectin). The product I linked has a concentration of 5 mg/mL and my hens (adult standard chickens) weigh roughly 3 kg. Given the concentration of the medicine and the size of my birds, I want each hen to receive about 1 mg of ivermectin, which is about 0.2 mL of the product. I use a small syringe with the needle removed to better measure small volumes.

Make sure to take a good look at the product first and take into account the size of your animals. I'm happy to help with unit conversions if needed.
Thanks...that will probably work for many of my hens. However, I do have a couple of roosters who are really big. I might need to double it for them.

Back
Top Bottom