IVERMECTIN SHEEP DRENCH

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KathyR, Oct 5, 2013.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Panacur suspension is 10% fenbendazole, so that's fine, but at 3cc per gallon I don't think they got enough wormer to do much good. If I were in your shoes I would weigh my roo and worm him accordingly, it sure won't hurt him and it *might* save his life. Fenbendazole is very safe and is used at even higher levels for treatment of capillary worms.

-Kathy

2. KathyR

KathyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Tully, NY
    Is it ok to treat with that after just using the ivermectin yesterday? Can wormers cause sour crop like antibiotics can?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have treated with both at the same time and there used to be a wormer called Trifen Plus that had both of them, so it has been done. If he were mine and I thought he had gapes, I would worm him.

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  4. KathyR

Mar 14, 2009
    Tully, NY
    Thank you for all the great information.
    Kathy

5. KathyR

Mar 14, 2009
    Tully, NY
    Ok, so I found red worms in my roos poop this am. Does this mean the ivermectin worked since they haven't had the panacur since 9/23? Is it possible to have adult gape worms in stool? How do they go from respiratory to digestive system? Showed to vet and he confirmed gape worm. So now do I wait 10 days to treat again and do I use panacur or ivermectin. Other roo still eating but breathing very heavy. What do you think?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Can you post a pic? If not, how long are the worms?

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm curious... how could a worm that lives in the trachea be seen in a pile of poop? Am I missing something? Do they also like in the intestines? Not trying to be a pain, just really curious, lol.

-Kathy

8. KathyR

Mar 14, 2009
    Tully, NY
    Sorry, no pics. They were approximately 1 to 1 1/2" long.Just an estimate. The other rooster seems to be having trouble breathing which I hadn't noticed before, other than the gaping which was periodic. All new to me so if vet is right these were adult gapeworms in poop.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Source:http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm
    "The gapeworm is sometimes designated as the "red-worm"; or "forked-worm" because of its red color and because the male and female are joined in permanent copulation. They appear like the letter Y. The female is the larger of the two and is one-fourth to one inch in length. The male gapeworm may attain a length of one-fourth inch. Both sexes attach to the lining of the trachea with their mouthparts. Sufficient numbers may accumulate in the trachea to hinder air passage."

-Kathy

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yes, that was my next question; were they "Y" shaped?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by