Ivermectin use for scaly leg mites?

I am trying to sort out the wealth of information on the internet about ivermectin and am just about lost. I have scaly leg mites in my chickens and have decided to go ahead with the ivermectin. I bought the Durvet pour on for cattle, 5mg per ML. My main question is about the withdrawal period for eggs. You are the only person who I have seen mention that there is NO withdrawal period. You mention the Eprinex brand... which says on the label is "eprinomectin". Is that the same as ivermectin? Common sense tells me that the tiny dosage that the chicken gets, and the smaller amount yet that might be passed on into the eggs would be harmless to humans. Please help! Thank you.

The measurement of therapeutic dose remains a mystery. Everyone has an opinion,but Poultry Science Association journals are not accessible to those who are not members. This is from Parasitipedia's site: http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2449&Itemid=2716
On poultry, ivermectin at the therapeutic dose is also ineffective against bloodsucking poultry mites such as red poultry mites (Dermanyssus gallinae), northern fowl mites (Ornithonyssus sylviarum), and tropical fowl mites (Ornithonyssus bursa), as well as against soft ticks (e.g. Argas spp, Ornithodorus spp, Otobius spp, etc.)

I once used Ivermectin type pour on ( Eprinomectin aka Eprinex) as well as injectible (Ivomec) made by Merial. It was a waste of money and the scaly leg continued despite treating coops on a regular basis. Topical uses of sulfur based ointments, pine oil were effective in removing Knemidocoptes mites. The key is treating legs often enough and massaging the oils into the scales of the entire leg and toes. I use nitrile gloves and massage up and down the leg manipulating the leg to get oils under scales. Nu-stock is a very good treatment for scaly leg: http://www.nustock.com/ I go in once a month and use an emulsified concentrate of Ravap, or Permectrin II, or Atroban and treat all sides of the roosts. I find it interesting that i've have had to treat some breeds more than others. My Black Australorp hen has never needed treatment for scaly leg and is over 9 years old.

Last edited:
The measurement of therapeutic dose remains a mystery. Everyone has an opinion,but Poultry Science Association journals are not accessible to those who are not members. This is from Parasitipedia's site: http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2449&Itemid=2716
On poultry, ivermectin at the therapeutic dose is also ineffective against bloodsucking poultry mites such as red poultry mites (Dermanyssus gallinae), northern fowl mites (Ornithonyssus sylviarum), and tropical fowl mites (Ornithonyssus bursa), as well as against soft ticks (e.g. Argas spp, Ornithodorus spp, Otobius spp, etc.)

I once used Ivermectin type pour on ( Eprinomectin aka Eprinex) as well as injectible (Ivomec) made by Merial. It was a waste of money and the scaly leg continued despite treating coops on a regular basis. Topical uses of sulfur based ointments, pine oil were effective in removing Knemidocoptes mites. The key is treating legs often enough and massaging the oils into the scales of the entire leg and toes. I use nitrile gloves and massage up and down the leg manipulating the leg to get oils under scales. Nu-stock is a very good treatment for scaly leg: http://www.nustock.com/ I go in once a month and use an emulsified concentrate of Ravap, or Permectrin II, or Atroban and treat all sides of the roosts. I find it interesting that i've have had to treat some breeds more than others. My Black Australorp hen has never needed treatment for scaly leg and is over 9 years old.
I find this information to be troubling. If Parasitipedia's findings are accurate, it completely contradicts the advice listed on Merck's site, for example, which many people use for reference. Not that contradictions like this are unheard of, but many of us rely heavily on our own research because we don't have vets who treat chickens!!!

Now, I know alot of you are going to say to coat the legs with vaseline, mineral oil or some other remedy. I've tried all that, and none has worked. I have read that Ivermectin does get rid of scaly leg mites. I would get the drops... hopefully it would get into their blood, and when the mites suck their feet, it would kill them. I have treated the coop with poultry dust.
My questions: What site is the best place to buy the dropper medicine that is safe for chickens?
Can humans/dogs get these mites?
Is it true we can't eat their eggs if they start to lay?
Where to apply the drops?
Has anyone here used this and had success?

I have 7 hens and one got leg mites pretty bad and one other one a little. The others seem fine. I also have treated them with the Vaseline and WD40 and tick spray etc...It has been about a month and it does look a little better. I was on here looking for something to give them without the work...now I am thinking I need to wait a little longer as it does look better. I just thought it would be totally cleared up in a month.

I use ivermectin pour on for cattle on my bantam chickens. Some are more prone to scaly leg mites than others but the ivermectin DOES work! The scales may still be raised for some time after the treatment but it does work. I have had several cases here especially with my feather footed birds.
How many drops do you put?

My roo has more of a problem with swollen outer toes than with lifted scales. Will the Ivermetin drench take down the swelling in less than a month? Im anxious to see he can walk more normally again.

Attachments

• Conrad on deck 5 2021.jpg
    Conrad on deck 5 2021.jpg
    754.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00557.JPG
    DSC00557.JPG
    563.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210516_080649.jpg
    20210516_080649.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 16
I am trying to sort out the wealth of information on the internet about ivermectin and am just about lost. I have scaly leg mites in my chickens and have decided to go ahead with the ivermectin. I bought the Durvet pour on for cattle, 5mg per ML. My main question is about the withdrawal period for eggs. You are the only person who I have seen mention that there is NO withdrawal period. You mention the Eprinex brand... which says on the label is "eprinomectin". Is that the same as ivermectin? Common sense tells me that the tiny dosage that the chicken gets, and the smaller amount yet that might be passed on into the eggs would be harmless to humans. Please help! Thank you.
Eprinomectin and Ivermectin are not the same.

I use Eprinex. It is a pour-on version of Ivermectin that has zero-withdrawal, so I don't have to discard the eggs. I have never seen any mites on my chickens, nor do I see signs of worms. I have large chickens, so I put 7 drops to the back of the neck directly on the skin.
I don't seem to be able to get that in Canada. :( I'm curious though, what makes it different from the other pour on versions of Ivermectin that do have a withdrawal period? If Eprinex is somehow a healthier version I need to find a way to get me some!

Back
Top Bottom