1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ivermectin v Permethrin v Frontline- lice and mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Speckledfarmer, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Speckledfarmer

Speckledfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    Wausau, WI
    Hi all, I have 16 hens co-infected with lice and mites. From reviewing previous threads, I have narrowed my treatment down to Ivermectin topical v Permethrin spray v Frontline spray with a repeat dose in 7-10 days. What has worked for you?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Everyone has an opinion or preference when treating for lice/mites.

I'll give you my opinion - I would use a Permethrin base poultry dust or spray. To me is has more uses - it can be used to treat bedding, nesting boxes and housing as well as the chickens. I would purchase one that is approved for use in poultry.

Ivermectin is supposed to be good, but it is more $$ and is used only to treat the chicken - I can't see using it to treat the coop/bedding.

Frontline spray, I have read where people do use it, that is up to them - I don't know about the active ingredient in it and how it works for poultry.

Personally I prefer to use products that are labeled for poultry whenever possible. That is not always the case, but most poultry dusts/sprays are readily available online and at local feed stores.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1151513/pesticides-approved-for-poultry

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would use permethrin on the chickens and the coop.

4. Speckledfarmer

Feb 13, 2013
    Wausau, WI
    Thank you both!

5. Speckledfarmer

Feb 13, 2013
    Wausau, WI
    If repeating every 7 days, how many weeks in a row would you treat with permethrin?

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    First I would go with recommended treatment instructions on the packaging label.

A "general rule" would be treat 2x (7 day increments) after the initial application, but each product is a little different, so read your label.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by