1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ivomec & Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NeeleysAVLChicks, Jan 20, 2011.

1. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    I had a call from a woman today looking desperately for hatching eggs for her brooding girl. I wormed the whole flock 2 weeks ago using Ivomec pour-on. Do you think its safe to incubate the eggs at this point? I absolutely would hate for her to end up with deformed chicks or something crazy.

Thoughts?

2. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I'm interested to hear the answer to this too.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I thought withdrawal period was only two weeks? If so, I would think that it would be OK.

4. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Quote:That's what is typically recommended for eating, wasn't sure about hatching.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://www.drugs.com/vet/ivermectin-injection-for-cattle-and-swine.html
    You
    can type in the name of the drug "ivermectin pour on" or injection and get the withdrawal times for cattle.

Milk producing cattle I believe are supposed to be on Eprinex (eprinomectin) Pour on, not Ivermectin pour on b/c of the residues in milk.

A lot of people on BYC give Ivermectin (both have the brand name Ivomec).

I don't think there is any data out there regarding hatching eggs and ivermectin.

I only have experience with Eprinex.

In other words, I don't know the answer to your question- I think it is going to be a personal decision. But maybe you will find drugs.com useful.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  6. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    i just wormed my flock of 25 w/Ivomec 2 weeks ago and during that time i was tossing out anywhere from 14-16 eggs a day. so i started thinking that since the eggs were not good for consumption maybe they would be fine for hatching. well i did a search after search and came up empty. so i decided there was only one way to find out, i collected 40 white eggs (RIR roo x Leghorns) and placed them in the incubator January 15. i was planning on candling on day 10 but maybe i'll take a peek tonite which will be 5 full days by dinner time. hopefully i do see some sort of development goin on.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Oh please do keep us updated on that.

8. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    I'd have assumed if the with holding period is 2 weeks for eating then they will be fine to set because residue has to be gone for them to be ok for eating.

I don't know it for sure but that would be my best guess and I would set them.

stevin - please keep is posted, I'll be very interested to see the results.

9. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    will do...absolutely!!
    i still might candle the eggs tonite. this is my 1st time incubating and i'm just wondering when most of you candle your eggs do you just open the incubator and leave it open while you check the eggs? or do you open it just enough to reach in and grab one and then close the lid to keep as much of the heat and moisture in? i have 40 eggs in there so this might take while.....

oh, and i should wait till the 10th day no matter how strong the urge is right now to take a look???[​IMG]

i guess i'm just looking for someone to talk me off the candling ledge...[​IMG]

thanx,
    stevin

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  10. aceschix

aceschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I candled tonight...end of day 5 for me. I can tell which are developing. Saw a couple suspected Blood rings and for sure you can tell the clears. Even in the BCM eggs. I will not oull any out until day 14 unless they start to smell (which I have not had yet)

Also, I get an egg carton and I take out a dz at a time. I lose too much heat and humity for my taste by leaving it open all that time. JMO! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by