1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ivomec Pour on for cattle for dogs?? Is this true....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by honeydoll, Jan 18, 2010.

1. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Hello. I was told today that I can use my Ivomec Pour On for my dog to treat for fleas, parasites and heartworms: Is this true? Does anyone know? I know the injectable kind you can but what about the pour on. I do not have a collie, nor herding dog, so no worries there. If I can use it on him, great. It is purely preventative but Heartgard is way overpriced and if this kills other parasites too WONDERFUL!!! Does any one know how many drops on the back to do and if it's safe?

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I am bumping, because I would like to know the answer to this one too.

3. FLF

FLF Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Portersville
    I use regular Ivermectin horse worming paste for most of my dogs, however it should NEVER be given to dogs in the herding catergory (Border Collies, Austrailian Sheperds, Corgis, ect.) . It can be toxic to them. They have some sort of sensetivity to Ivermectin that can be fatal.

4. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Quote:I didn't know you could use the horse paste on dogs. I bet then you can use the pour on too, I just don't know how much. I don't want to OD him or use the pour on and it be harmful. Hope someone chimes in on this, I'd really like to know.

5. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I've heard a saying about Ivomec with the herding dogs, something like, "white feet, don't treat." Not sure how true that is, but might be something to look into first.

6. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    I know they make a formula for dogs... Ivermectin. So what would be the difference from the horse/cattle formula to the canine one?

And I have a herding dog, and white feet are not apart of the German Shepherd Dog. [​IMG]

7. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    ivermectin is ivomec..yes it can be used on some dogs,collie types not recommended,dosage is different then other animals,I am not a vet so it is against the law for me to give you dosage,it needs to be diluted first,maybe your vet will give you the dosage.Not sure what the white feet thing is about,color of dogs feet has nothing to do with anything else but color,unless some think ivomec will react to irish spotting gene somehow.

8. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    google Ivermectin and Aussies. There's alot of good info out there on it.

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Ivomec doesnt kill fleas, and pour on shouldnt be used to worm dogs.
    You can give 1% injectable Ivomec ORALLY to treat roundworms and heartworms, but pour ons shouldnt be used on canines

10. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Personally, I would ask my vet before taking someone else's word on it ........ I'm just saying.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by