Ivomec Pour on for cattle for dogs?? Is this true....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by honeydoll, Jan 18, 2010.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have used it on toy and miniature poodles and it has not hurt them. It does not get rid of fleas, but supposedly worms them and gets ear mites. They were not my dogs, I was helping someone else dose her dogs per her instructions and request for help. No dogs were harmed in the use of this product.

2. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    While I was at the feed store this morning I asked about the ivermactin in canines.
    They didn't know much but one of the ladies there did treat her dogs with it. She has one mutt with white paws that she gives it to. But she thinks the white paw thing has to do with that spotting gene or something like that.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Oh, and a lot of the poodles we treated were parti colored, so there were mostly white paws present for the pouring on of the ivermectin.

4. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I have heard that you shouldn't give Ivermectin to Collies. Like Lassie type Collies, because they are extremely sensitive to it. That is the only restriction that I know of, except you need to get the dose right or you can cause permanent neurolgical damage to your dog. Just make sure you get the dose right.

5. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Thanks everyone. I will look it up online to try to find dosing facts. I was wondering if you could use it. I don't see too much of a problem as long as the dose is accurate.

6. Doc Henry

Doc Henry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgetown Tx
    I've been a vet tech for 10 yrs DON'T put pour on on your dogs. Some people use oral ivomec on their dogs but if you look at the dose for cattle it is in mg the dose for dogs is in mcg they say to dilute it but it is oil based and you will have a tough time making sure you have an even dose every time. I'm all for cutting cost but to save 5 bucks a month it's not worth any of my dogs lives. If you give too much it they get neurologic and die.

7. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    We Have used the injectable type for years, Giving it orally to our hounds and also yard pets of all types. I have heard that too much would hurt one, But years ago, I had a syringe loaded for all my hounds and the first I gave it to was a pup, Well he jumped just as I was giving he his dose and he got all of it , enough for him and 4 full grown dogs, I thought for sure I would lose him ,But he didn't even get sick. Long story short he lived for 15yrs and was one of the best hounds I have ever had

About the herd dog thing It could be true Im not saying its not,
    But two dogs got on noah's boat,
    not two of every breed,

I just wonder if the old cokes in the 6oz bottle really did taste better than the ones in the 10 oz bottle

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Well, theory is nice and fun and all that, but a number of people (including some I know) have had collie-type dogs DIE from ivermectin sensitivity.

What mostly matters is what actually happens (and what happens among large numbers of animals, not just "I did this once and nothing awful happened"), not what a person might *think* should happen.

In my opinion.

Regarding the original question on the thread, it depends how much you're willing to stake on your ability to perform careful accurate dilutions/measurements, and how you'd feel if something went wrong. Personally I'm with Doc Henry on it's not worth the small amount of money to be saved, but it's an individual choice.

Pat

9. minnesota birds

minnesota birds Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    is this dose for dogs foke med. or does it really work? did the dogs really have worms etc and did it work everytime? some people over dose and go to extrems.
    minnesota birds

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

This site seems to say that YES, Ivomec can be used on dogs, but it's not "recommended" because of the dosage thing.
    http://petproducts.suite101.com/article.cfm/ivermectin_for_dogs

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=31&A=518&S=0

I can kinda see where they're coming from, trying to get such a small amount could be difficult....

Hartguard: http://www.drugs.com/vet/heartgard-tablets-for-dogs.html 6 mcg of ivermectin per kilogram (2.72 mcg/lb) of body weight.

And the cat kind just has 0.01% in it http://www.acarexx.com/docs/Acarexx_Insert.pdf

On
    the other hand, my grandpa just squirted a bit of the cattle kind on his dogs with a syringe ......and they lived to ripe old ages. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by