Ivomec pour on question / help

LauraG

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Upstate, NY
I got the Ivomec pour on. Now, I know its 5 drops for a full grown hen.

But how exactley do you apply this? The past threads say to part the feathers and apply to skin, but dont apply to fluff or where feathers are.

Okay? uh, wheres there no feathers?

Do you apply all 5 drops on the same spot, or along the chicken?

My girl is shaking her head, and from what i have read, I suspect mites. I havent seen any, but, i guess it cant hurt.

Sorry if this sounds like a duh question, I just want to make sure im doing it right instead of flying by the seat of my pants with a medication.

Blessings,
Laura

Here's a copy of the email she sent me today

" ok this stuiff is at TSC for 16$ for a bottle of blue liquid-It is Ivermection POUR-on for cattle. try to find an empty eye dropper bottle-like visine--pour the ivermectin in it-for each LF bird you will put a drop under each wing and 3-4 drops near the vent area-on skin spread the feathers apart if you have to because if it gets on feathers it doenst work--it works just like frontline does on dogs and cats-

bantams get one drop under each wing and 2 by their vent areas--easy peasy--I wind up worming myself eachtime I do it!!"

Hope that helps

I just treated my 12 hens for depluming mites (terrible bugs, resistent to all other treatments) and the ivermectin pour on (ivomec, bought on amazon.com) seems to be working!

I waited until night and had my husband help me -- much easier. We then used a syringe to put approximately .5 cc (half a mililiter) on each standard sized hen. The ivomec absorbs quickly, and i tried hard to really part the feathers and get it on bare skin. I got some on myself in the process -- no big deal.

My hens had depluming mite infestation ranging from mild to severe: bare backs and necks, thickened skin, red, angrylooking skin. But i never saw them pecking each other or overgrooming. Never saw a single mite or louse.

I tried Poultry Protector spray, ProZap powder, and two baths (one week apart) with sulfur. Nothing made a difference and the depluming mites spread to all my birds.

But one good dose of ivomec pour on seems to be working! Within 2 days I saw a big difference in the hen with the worst symptoms. I will repeat the dosing at around 10 days. I already cleaned out the coop and nestboxes, and dusted like crazy with diatomaceous earth, twice in 2 weeks.

I am hoping the worst hen will start laying again. She stopped months ago, but the others keep laying despite the mite.

I was always told 3 drops for a LF and 1 drop for bantams....interesting...and I just applied it to the back of their necks like you would a dog. Worked great. Remember, this is also a dewormer and you have to throw eggs away for 21 days from last application.

Back
Top Bottom