I’m freaking out about this…🤯🤬🤯

I’m about to try it after we come in from his morning grass-scapades!
I just thought of something else, geese are more willing to try something that they see others eating, don’t worry, you don’t have to eat his food, but if you stick your fingers in his food and play with it he’ll more likely want to join in.

I thought higher protein like 22% if you continue to feed it to non-meat birds that you aren't going to process at weight can cause angel wing in geese? Otherwise I'd say the water advice given here is good.

Also he may need more grit if he's getting a lot of greens and there's no sand or gravel outside so perhaps those easy pellets are compacting with the greens? I don't know just suggesting.

I've noticed mine try to roll gravel around in their mouth after they took in lots of greens so I started adding play sand to their drinkers and they nip it up. The crumble/pellets alone should be fine without grit, but dipping their head in water to clear their beaks nostrils is a must.

I thought higher protein like 22% if you continue to feed it to non-meat birds that you aren't going to process at weight can cause angel wing in geese? Otherwise I'd say the water advice given here is good.

Also he may need more grit if he's getting a lot of greens and there's no sand or gravel outside so perhaps those easy pellets are compacting with the greens? I don't know just suggesting.

I've noticed mine try to roll gravel around in their mouth after they took in lots of greens so I started adding play sand to their drinkers and they nip it up. The crumble/pellets alone should be fine without grit, but dipping their head in water to clear their beaks nostrils is a must.
Angel wing can only be developed during growth, when the feather shafts are growing and filled with blood they can be too heavy for the gosling to hold in the correct position and the limb starts to twist at the wrist, without prompt correction the twist becomes permanent and irreversible.

The cause has been under debate. Some say it’s genetics, others say it’s caused by to much protein and carbs.
In my opinion and expierience it’s a mixture of both. My larger breed and mixed breed babies never had a problem with 22% feed, but my tiny mixed breed gosling started to get angel wing and I had to correct it. She ate the same feed as all the others, but because of her genetics it was just a little too rich for her but just fine for the other goslings.

She’s still a bit smaller as an adult even compared to my Buff and she puts weight on easier eating the same thing as all the others, so I do have to watch her weight more. Metabolism can vary between breeds and sizes, so for very small geese a lesser protein percentage or mixing the feed with a lower percentage feed could be needed compared to a larger breed or individual, for the larger breeds “mine are Toulouse” I haven’t had any issues with 22% feed.

An interesting thing to note, my tiny goose “Tuesday” is a Classic Roman x Toulouse cross. She’s about the same size and body type as her mother “Delphi” the Classic Roman.
Delphi was fed 22% Purina flockraiser as a gosling and as an adult and hasn’t had issues with weight or ever starting to develop angel wing.

I think the issue with Tuesday is that she has a large breed’s metabolism in a small breed’s body, she puts on weight like Toulouse but she has a Roman’s body.

He’s an inside spoiled rotten gooszilla that would definitely turn his nose at anything mushy. Won’t eat watermelon, bananas, strawberries..if they get squishy he ends up flinging them and I have no idea where they land till way later on. 🤦‍♀️ I actually tried the mushy when he was little and he wouldn’t touch it them..you’d think that I tore up his favorite pillow or something right now🤦‍♀️🙄
Oh my goodness this is my Meeps up and down. She is a savage goose and has taken chicken right out of my hands before but of course I don't let her have that kind of stuff but she absolutely goes nuts for meal worms but earth worms are a different story and I think it's the same with Gilbert not liking mushy things it's comical the way they can act spoiled and for sure hold a grudge but also they can be the most loving and gentle thing that loves cuddles but only when she wants lovins. And as she gets older you can see the more independence she's getting but still never more then 1 foot away😅but I love it and know exactly what your saying when you don't know what you'd do without em🥰☺️it's been such a amazing a rewarding experience seeing her grow up and figuring out how to do different things. Iike showing and teaching them to eat different things and watching as they figure out how to tear it up to sallow it going from having to cut up grass into tiny bite size pieces to her downing a entire leaf of lettuce with ease :). And thank you for letting me share😊

Back
Top Bottom