1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

jack o lantern pumpkin

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hensandchickscolorado, Oct 29, 2011.

1. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    I know that pumpkin is apparently good for chickens, but what about the jack-o-lantern kind? I know I wouldn't eat it! Can they eat those huge seeds?

If so, my girls will be very happy over the next week as we just did some serious pumpkin carving!

Happy Halloween!

2. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    They will eat the seeds, but they really like them after you grind them in the blender. Add some sour milk or yogurt and they will be very happy.

3. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    One year the kids were gutting and carving jack o lanterns on the front porch. They kept most of the seeds but threw all the guts and attached seeds off the porch into my garden and hedges. The next year I had this pumpkin patch growing out onto the lawn. We decided to let it grow and we'd have a few pumpkins in the fall. Our chickens always foraged out in the back and occasionally would come out front. We enjoyed watching the pumpkins growing and planned to pick them the next day or so, they were so full and ready...well the chickens beat us to it. Apparently they were watching them too.....

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    [​IMG]

Chickens know what they like!

5. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    Quote:erm.. why wouldn't you eat it?

6. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    Well I get sugar and kabocha (sp?) pumpkins from the farm for baking and soups, but the jack o lantern type is stringy and tastes pretty bad. I know they aren't grown for the purpose of us eating them.

Am I being a chicken snob by only giving my chicks sugar pumpkins!?

I will give them the jack o lantern guts...I just wanted to check and see. The seeds seem so large for them to eat. Guess the worse that can happen is a pumpkin patch in the chicken run next year [​IMG].

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  7. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    I make jack-o-lanterns from any type of pumpkin I can get, and I eat any as well. The kind grown for making Jacks may not have the sugar content and be a bit stringier, but a squash is a squash...*shrugs. Try it in your run and see if your chooks like them...

I wouldn't eat salamanders, either, but my chickens love them... [​IMG]

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    We bought about a dozen extra out at the pumpkin patch and I break them open and let them go to town. They love it!!

9. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I eat any type of pumpkin, as do my chickens. They don't care if they were bred for carving or pies, they love 'em all!

10. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    My BRs have eaten 3 different kinds of pumpkin innards today and loved them all!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by