Jaerhon Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CTChick, Nov 17, 2009.

1. CTChick

CTChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Shelton
    Okay I'm early but thinking about new breeds for spring. Does anyone have Jaerhons? I know they are Norwegian, supposedly very hardy and known for laying large eggs through the winter (I'm in Connecticut, winter hardiness and laying are good things). Feathersite has no background info, neither do any of the SEVEN new chicken books I own. I searched the topic here on BYC but no real breed info. I do not want any bird that is "flighty". Like 'em fluffy, slow and calm (cochins, silkies, orpingtons, easter eggers, D'uccles, etc). I am getting some bantam dorking eggs over the next couple days, my first experience with incubator - Yea! I'll be posting ... can't wait, setting everything up today.

Anyone?
    Laura

2. Svarthona

Svarthona Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    I don´t have them, but I understand Norwegian and researched some about the Norwegian Jærhøns since I suspect my roo has some ancestors on the Norwegian side of the border [​IMG]
    In general the breed is described as lightweight and very lively birds aka flighty and nervous. They are famous for plundering fruit trees and sitting on the roof...
    [​IMG] Not exactly what you´re looking for it seems. I´m sorry, they sure are beautiful and really good layers for such a small chicken (eggs are 50-55g and the hens 1,5-1,75kg).

3. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    They are lightweight and very flighty, their feathers are sleek rather than fluffy. They have a tendency to make NOISE when they've laid eggs - and I mean noise!!! They can keep at it for a long time... If you want to compare to other breeds I say they're more like leghorns than cochins. They are the only ones I've had to ever jump the fence.

They are however as you say winter-hardy and they are great layers. But not really what you're looking for, I suppose.

I must admit they are not my favourite breed (a shame really, me being Norwegian and all [​IMG] )

Among the "fluffy" breeds that do well here though are Cochins, Wyandottes, Orpingtons... My Wyandottes are decent layers year-round, though you will not get the gigantic sized eggs that come with leghorn and jærhøne.

ETA: Tjäna Svarthöna [​IMG] Nice to see a fellow Scandinavian around [​IMG]

...and a link to a pic if you want to see what they look like: http://www.fuglepraten.no/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=168

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  4. CTChick

CTChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Shelton
    Thank you both! No, probably not for me but they sure are cute!

What a great site - with such great and informative folks!

Laura

5. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Jaerhorn chicks are wild and crazy!!!!!!! They are almost impossible to control. Once mine reached maturity, they really got pretty docile. Easily the temperment of sexlinks etc. They are capable of flight. Thouth they do not do it often, I have seen them at least 25 feet in the air.

6. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by