Jaerhons?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by uncle rico, May 12, 2011.

1. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    Here was a listing for a rare breed called Jaerhons on CL. Was wondering if there's anyone out there that knows anything about this breed or has them? I am thinking about getting the roo as I am looking for a rooster for our flock. Might consider a couple of the hens too.

Heres the link:

http://madison.craigslist.org/grd/2376673128.html

2. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Jaerhons are nice birds. They are compact in size, sort of between LF and bantam. They lay a creamy white egg that is medium sized. I had a trio for a while, but I let them go in favor of space for other birds I wanted to work with more. Mine were a bit flighty. I figure they could fly over a fence, so I kept mine in a covered pen.

Sexing the chicks is true.

Price is good. I'd recommend a trio if you have the space.

3. uncle rico

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    I free range my birds and have a pretty large coop so space isn't much of an issue with me. I was curious as to what temperament the Jaerhon roos have? Are they agressive like RIRs and Leghorns roos or are they pretty mellow natured? Right now I'm trying to find a good roo for my flock. I'd like to find one that's not likely to attack people. Also, if I bred a Jaerhon with a BO or a BA, does anyone have any idea what kind of bird would result? [​IMG].

4. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    My Jaerhon roo was friendly enough. At least I was never flogged. [​IMG] But I sold him before a year old.

Almost any roo can put on the attitude. Sometimes it can be a matter of the environment that the roo is in even more than the breed. If a roo constantly feels the need to be on guard and protect the flock, then you as caretaker can just become just another thing to chase away. But it really varies from roo to roo.

I've not owned a RIR roo. My floggers have been a Buff Orpington (sold), a Brabanter (sold), Sebright (sold), Columbian Wyandotte (sold), and a Speckled Sussex (still have [​IMG]). My best roo is a Giant Cochin. Many people swear by the cochins for good temperament. He is top of the yard and keeps the other 2 roos in line, but he'll let me pet him when he's roosting and is like a gentle giant. My Langshan roos have also been good roos around people.

5. uncle rico

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    Thanks for the advice [​IMG] I'll have to keep it in mind when I'm looking around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by