"Jakers" The Wild Eastern Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by SterlingAcres, Sep 30, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Songster

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:He was measly weight wise, but he did have some nice mass. He had a 20" spread inside. I actually took that buck to taxidermy school with me. Had the hide tanned professionally and it came back ruined... I was pretty ticked. My father's still got the rack somewhere, I didn't hold on to it. I've got a photo and my memory and that's good enough for me. [​IMG]

2. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Songster

You could have always used a cape from another buck and just put the rack on it..Many taxidermist do this when they have a bad cape, o i forgot you know how to do taxidermy to.. lol

That was a nice buck..may have been down on the weight from so much breeding..

Charlie

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Songster

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Yeah, I was going to recape it, I just never got around to it.
    It was right before the rut flew into full force, his neck wasn't even swelling yet. There was bad land management for years there, so I'm blaming it on bad inbreeding.

4. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Songster

You know ive seen some buck taken out around Penn state in center pa area and let me tell you, some of those bucks are pushing 200lbs field dressed and man are they big boys out that way. Here most 6-8 point buck taken are around 125,130 dressed out.

Ok, im off here, have a great night..

Charlie

5. BeakSanctuary

BeakSanctuary Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Thanks for the picture of the Wild Eastern Turkey. I have one I call Priscilla Presley because she's such a delicate girly-girl. Didn't know what kind she was, but so happens I did see a big flock of 15 or so walking a gravel road less than half a mile from my house a week or two ago. Didn't know if they were someone's flock out roaming or if they were wild; at the time, I still thought they were Naragansetts, not knowing much better. Long story short, I know more than before. Not complaining, but I know it says this type is not to be sent to Va by hatchery and yet I got one in a barnyard combination. Very beautiful, anyway!

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Songster

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    So, Jake's quite the ladies man... He's been out there calling and calling and calling. This morning at 7:30, I ran outside to hang some diapers up and there's a hen standing in my yard staring at me. I backed up and let her threw. She appears to have been hit by a car, she's got a severe limp and can barely walk. Her leg is turning black. I really hope she makes it threw the winter. I'm not for catching wild animals and caging them, but she looks to be in a lot of pain. What do you think her odds are? She let me get about 15 yards from her before she flew. She didn't go far, I can still see her popping back up here and there threw the brush on the other side of the chicken run.
    You think she'll stick around? What should I do?

7. ams3651

ams3651 Songster

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    you could call the game commission or if you know who the local game warden is. maybe they can come and catch it. If its black it may be an old injury and pretty bad.

8. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Songster

If you got any scratch, put some out for her eat, hopefully she can still get into the tree's at night to roost, otherwise she will be a goner sooner or later, big red fox or a coon will come along and take her..
    The PGC will tell you to just let her be..
    Charlie

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Songster

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Thanks guys. I'll see if she's around tomorrow morning. If she keeps coming back to him, I'll throw her some food out. She flies very well, got a lot of height earlier... I just hope she can stand to roost on that leg. The foot itself is black, but she didn't put any weight on the leg at all... maybe it was dislocated at the hip? [​IMG] Poor bird...

10. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Songster

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    i would say get her into your pen . i know peole are against catching wild animals but clearly she is hurt and needs a little help . You never know maybe she was a pet at one time ? thats why she let you get that close . And clearly she is a loner and needs a friend and you got one .. If you do catch her and she doesnt like living in captivety then let her free but she might like it and do well . You could help her leg ,give her a companion and keep her safe . If you dont she wont last long on the wild . If i was you i would catch her and say she was a bronze ! I look at it as saving her

Iether way keep us posted !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: