JAN 28th HATCH!!! Who's with me?!?

Well, I am in the middle of a hatch right now and I have had my humidity up at 85% (deliberately) for the last two days. I've just hatched 4/4 that were due today. I think you should be fine.

2 out with 5 pipped!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

I have the new brooder almost finished but I put the light in it and hope to move chicks over when we get hme at 7:30 tonight. It also looks like these two don't suffer from what the last batch did.
jumpy.gif

Now how the heck an I going to concentrate on my test! Oh well even if I bomb it I will still have a high B or an A for this term. 26 weeks to go and then I have to take my boards.

well, all 14 are doing great in the brooder! the one egg that is taking forever to hatch is still in the bator and it's zipped about 1/3 of the way. it's not zipping very well, it's just made a big hole....and it has a crossed beak! poor lil' thing! i guess i'll keep it, simply cuz i can't cull it. i've done some research on this problem, and some chickens live just fine with it...with others, it gets worse.....i can't cull it if it has a chance......if it CAN thrive, i can't cull it. if it was suffering, i guess i'd have to. i feel so sorry for it.

My Blue Splash Marans hatch is over. 6 out of 12 hatched, so I am a little bummed since they candled great.
sad.png

I removed the 6 eggs from the bator and wrapped them in a warm, damp cloth and bought them into javascript:insert_text('
love.gif
',%20'');
the warmest room on the house, the washer dryer room because the dryer is on and its about 70 in here!

I listen to each egg and only one was chirping. Turns out the 2 of the eggs were clear (dark eggs, yeah!)
and 3 other were quitters.

I don't like these kind of rescues, especially when they don't pip. I get worry that these are "weak" chicks
and their offspring will have similar issues, or so I have been told in chicken lore (but haven't seen it in Storey's !
gig.gif
)

I poke the top of the egg and created a small hole. Immediately the chicks started chirping as if to say, "get me out!"
celebrate.gif

I removed the shell and found the chick was "shrinked wrapped." I wrapped another warm towel around it
(I had a bowl w/ hot water and wash clothes in it for my "triage set up.")
I carefully removed the membrane (any body know what it is called?) careful not to cause any bleeding.
I got it all off and the only place bleeding was at the bellybutton (what's that called?)
It was bleeding there so I cleaned that up and and blotted it until it started clotting.
I then covered it another warm moist towel and put it back in the bator, right under the heater unit. (Hovabator 1588 Genesis)
After 25 minutes, I removed the towel. Another chick was cuddled up to the chick
love.gif

This morning I woke and found 7 fluffy chicks. I was surprised the rescue chick didn't have sticky head and it was as fluffed.
It was a little smaller than the others but otherwise fine. Time will tell.

7 out 12, okay for a mail order eggs.
But I have 7 active, chirpy and fluffy chicks ready for the brooder.
yippiechickie.gif

I have another 16 Blue Splash Marans eggs that are cooking and go into lockdown this Sunday.
I am going to post the results over at the Chinese New Year post!
What fun!
clap.gif

as of right now i have 10 chicks hatched and 3 more eggs to go. of the 3 eggs 2 have lg. pips in them .
lol.png
1 egg still hasnt done anything that i can see i removed 6 of the chicks this morning to the brooder because they were bowling with the other eggs and since i did that had 2 eggs finish hatching. i have 1 mystery chick. it was suppose to be a silkie but doesnt have black skin so
hu.gif
will have to get a pic of it once it dries and maybe email the person i got the eggs from and see if they might be able to tell me. congrats everyone and ill post pics as soon as they all dry off and are moved into the brooder.

barnie.gif

I'm on day 20.... we have 4 eggs left...1 egg had movement (even after our heating element issues)

This is driving me nuts waiting...and waiting and more waiting!!! UGH!!!!
he.gif

Good morning everyone!! So, I went to bed with 3 out and a bunch of pips.... I woke up to 13!!!!! I tried to take some pics but they just did not want to stay still...
lau.gif
I have 2 more zipping as we speak and a few more pips... On a sad note, I believe the one that pipped through the yolk yesterday is dead... It has been about 25 hours and nothing is happening with it... I hope the rest of them hatch today or tonight so I can go ahead and get everyone into the brooder tomorrow... The first one has only been in there since about 5pm yesterday so it's only been about 17 hours... I open the vent for about 20 minutes when on hatches just to keep the humidity from going very high but other than that, i just look.. I don't dare open it!!!! Enjoy the pics..
smile.png
One more hatched as i was trying to upload the pics so i have a total of 14 now!! Click on the thumbnails to see the larger image...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
ok my hatch is all done, out of the 13 that made it to lockdown 12 hatched
big_smile.png
6 are in the brooder already the other 6 aren't dry enough yet to move.
here is a pic of the 6 in the brooder
46766_dscf2851.jpg

and here are the others that are still fluffing up in the incubator
46766_dscf2855.jpg

now once these little one can be moved i need to clean out the incubator and get it ready for the next batch of eggs that are suppose to be mailed on monday
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom