Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

those are pretty blue eggs- I have some eggs on day 18/16 and the eggs below the first pic is day 1 and the second pic is day 3 if you look close on day 1 you will see a red dot, on day three if yu look real close you will see what looks like a peace sign it is pretty faint. you can see it better in person of course.

day one and day 3 this is why it is better to candle on day 5

day 5

I got mine from another breeder, and these are the wheaten/blue wheaten eggs I'm incubating:

I had to use the flash on these or they looked green from the lighting in my house. I've been eyeing these eggs since last year, and I finally couldn't resist. Day 8 today. Good luck on your hatch!!

They are very nice looking eggs

Here is chick #1 starting to fluff:

and chick #2 is out of the shell now too!

Everyone else is still hanging out inside their eggs. They don't seem to be in much of a rush to get out
idunno.gif

Well I think I lost one. As far as I can tell she was about 75% zipped and her already hatched sibling rolled her over causing liquid to pool up around her beak and drown her. I've taken the already hatched ball of energy out and put it in the brooder and I turned the egg that I think has died, but I haven't seen her move since - not even any breathing, which was very easy to see before.

Kind of a bummer too, this was the first one to pip, and the one that was chirping the most in the begining. Frustrating to know that she was only about five to ten minutes away from being hatched when she died. Oh well - it's my first hatch, so I knew I was going to make some mistakes. It's hard to tell where the line is when I should intervene and when I should just leave things alone. This is one where I should have stepped in a little sooner.

OH NO. I'm soooooo sorry. ((((HUGS))))

I read several people have frozen eggs. I think my hens have slowed laying because the new nesting boxes are metal and get cold. I was thinking of hanging a brooder light above them. Has any one tried that? The hens may never get out of the boxes.

I haven't tried that but it sounds like it would work. I'm so sick of frozen eggs.

We recently moved and I went to visit an old neighbor today. On the way there, I was racking my brain thinking of what to do to prevent the eggs from freezing... so here's my plan. The girls nests aren't really cozy so they lay on the floor. I'm going to try to get the plastic totes and cut the hole in the side of it like we've seen people do. I will sandwich that small tote in between bales of straw (one on top and one underneath) for added insulation and hope for the best. maybe hang some strips of an old towel in the front opening. I have a dog house in their run and occasionally they will lay in that soooooo, I'm thinking they might like the tote on the floor in the coop.

Dog on it! Only day 19 and I had one of my nice big BO egg pip at the wrong end. I decided since it's so early, I didn't want to wait to help, since I was worried about it trying to turn and get stuck in the middle.

Here are some photos I took..

Wrong end baby. :/ There is the pip near the top...where is the babies beak?

In second photo..yep, it's going down the middle...look close, can see the hole.

In third photo..I dampen the white outer lining so it will peel away from the next inner lining..there are three all together.

Too many blood vessels to keep working on it. So this baby was put into another bator, and will hang out for a day, or a day and a half. Crossing fingers, I will time the helping out just right. Little stink!

Everyone else is still hanging out inside their eggs. They don't seem to be in much of a rush to get out
idunno.gif
Now that's what I'm talking about. Look at that nice zipping job done by this chick..right around the end where
it's supposed to be.

I have a black Jap baby hatched and the others chirping and pipped

polish started laying today woohoo
Awesome!
ya.gif

idunno.gif
Congrats! Yeah, mine aren't in any rush either.

Hubby is so excited about HIS Silkie girls eggs, he lost count of the days and I had to slow him down. He's home alone, taking care of the hatch, and I just keep telling him "wait"

Back
Top Bottom