Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

HI. Got your PM.......................Neat news................
Another sign when birth is close.....is that at the top of her tail , back hip area.
It will get mushy..soft to the touch like a marsh mellow..and will sink a little...
Now I'm  getting excited........................:D

Me too. Its one thing waitin for 21 days...5 months yeah right.

I am so in love with my silkie cross from the NYD hatch-a-long. Still need a name though. Any suggestions?

Hoping she is a hen. Already let's the other 4 curl up underneath her.

Last edited:
normally humidity is raised on day 19 for lockdown, but I prefer to candle and look for the internal pip (ideally it should be on day 19) before raising the humidity..
the purpose is so that the egg can continue to evaporate/lose water weight right up until it is ready to hatch.

what you are seeing at the bottom is probably the yolk with veins in it. the yolk and veins are beginning to suck into the chick's abdomen at this time, and eventually it will leave a small "hollow" in the area that you now see the yolk/veins.

Ok, here are a couple pics, same eggs...

Air cell visable.. No worries here...

Skinny end of egg....All that I candled are like this...

Ok, here are a couple pics, same eggs...

Air cell visable.. No worries here...

Skinny end of egg....All that I candled are like this...

hmm.. I do see the clearness you're talking about. Today is day 17? you could try to mark the dark shape with a pencil and check it again on day 18 and 19 to see if the darkness has grown any. if it is in the exact same size and position, then you would know... have you seen any movement lately?

Last edited:
hmm.. I do see the clearness you're talking about. Today is day 17? you could try to mark the dark shape with a pencil and check it again on day 18 and 19 to see if the darkness has grown any. if it is in the exact same size and position, then you would know... have you seen any movement lately?
Sorry, it finally got dark enough to do some good pictures
All that we candle have movement... I will go ahead and mark them though... I think I'll take the time to candle all of them now, should I risk it lowering the temp to open the bator?

Sorry, it finally got dark enough to do some good pictures
All that we candle have movement... I will go ahead and mark them though... I think I'll take the time to candle all of them now, should I risk it lowering the temp to open the bator?
just Saw that you have had movement! :D
make sure it is when you hold the egg completely still and it's not sloshing from turning or moving the egg.
if it's moving, it's alive!!! c'mon babies!!
fl.gif

I take the lid off for about 10 minutes per day as part of a new daily cooling thing I'm trying, so I don't believe any harm will come as long as your house is reasonably warm (70-75F?) and it isn't "shocking" temp drop. The eggs themselves actually generate heat from within at this stage as well...

Congratulations to everyone on their hatches.
woot.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

So many of hatches and such gorgeous little ones they are.

I still have till Friday before mine are suppose to hatch. Then again on Sunday. CAN'T WAIT...

Back
Top Bottom