Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

First incubator hatch- 4 lavender orpington's and 3 mutts.

Very nice..you will love the color of those lavenders! And those mutts, will probably turn out to be really cool colors too! Especially if they are EE's. They change so much. Now, if they are black, they are black, but I've had some pretty nice looking black chickens in my yard. When the sun hits those black feathers, and those hues of turquoise come out..just beautiful.
Congrats on your cute babies!

BIG NEWS

of the 4 CANDY CORN POLISH I bought....3 are internally pipped and 1 is externally pipped

come on precious ones!!!
fl.gif
clap.gif

yayayay!!
celebrate.gif
you can do it babies!!
I have 1 external pip on a Faverolle egg this morning!
ya.gif

BIG NEWS

of the 4 CANDY CORN POLISH I bought....3 are internally pipped and 1 is externally pipped

come on precious ones!!!:fl :clap

Question about when and what to look for an internal pip? I am on day 16. I have seen some comments about not locking down on day 18 unless you see internal pips. Any hints would be great! I do have a nice Brinsea Ovascope so. I can see really well inside the eggs.
Thanks.

Question about when and what to look for an internal pip? I am on day 16. I have seen some comments about not locking down on day 18 unless you see internal pips. Any hints would be great! I do have a nice Brinsea Ovascope so. I can see really well inside the eggs.
Thanks.

the internal pip should happen on day 19, if it has not happened by day 20 then I go ahead and increase the humidity anyway (lockdown).

the chick will poke it's beak into the air cell, so you will be able to see a small triangle-shaped shadow when you candle. If you think you see one, move the light all around the triangle, and you should see it outlined in light!

white eggs are easier to see through than brown, this photo is a white egg :)

prepare max by talking like a girl turkey- they say this "Gub, Gub,gub?" just 3 gubs ending in a question. and he will answer gubble gubble gubble! no question and 3 times as well.

Wipe it very gently with a warm wet cloth. Sometimes they just have a bit of egg goo making it stick. If that doesn't get it open, put a tiny dab of neosporin on it & check again in about 6 hrs.

Thanks so much! I dabbed it gently with water and it opened. Put her back, 2 hours later it was closed again? I am wondering if it got hurt/pecked?
I put some neosporin on it, a tiny tiny bit, and she opened it again...

Thanks so much! I dabbed it gently with water and it opened. Put her back, 2 hours later it was closed again? I am wondering if it got hurt/pecked?
I put some neosporin on it, a tiny tiny bit, and she opened it again...

Quite possible she scraped it while hatching or was injured by another chick. Just wash it gently with warm water & reapply neosporin a couple times per day until she keeps it open.

Back
Top Bottom