Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

I just noticed one of the babies is keeping her left eye closed... I held her for a little bit and she never opened it. do you think it got injured? or did she hatch that way? I didn't notice it before, I hope she opens it soon.. it isn't crusted shut either..

I just noticed one of the babies is keeping her left eye closed... I held her for a little bit and she never opened it. do you think it got injured? or did she hatch that way? I didn't notice it before, I hope she opens it soon.. it isn't crusted shut either..

Wipe it very gently with a warm wet cloth. Sometimes they just have a bit of egg goo making it stick. If that doesn't get it open, put a tiny dab of neosporin on it & check again in about 6 hrs.

I have been thru so many flashlights and batteries.  After I saw your pictures, I had to buy one.  Got a blue one today at Walmart.
It's going to be great seeing the chicks grow inside the eggs so much better this time. It really helps pass the forever three weeks it takes them to hatch! I'm happy for you that Max is getting a girlfriend!

This little one was stuck to its shell. I couldn't just sit there and watch it struggle any longer so I helped it out. Now it is just fine!!!

Well sad news today, I turned off the incubator at day 7, booo hooo my eggs were all duds....super clear with an egg yolk floating around.... I set more of my hens eggs last week a couple of days after my 3 silkies hatched and I could only get 4 cause she went broody a week before and egg production stopped. Seems like her last bunch of eggs have all been infertile. I would love to set more eggs but afraid that if I get a bunch of boys I'm going to get stuck. Are there any breeds where roosters are wanted? I'm thinking sermas?
don't know what your temps are there but remember if the eggs get too cold they won't develop...

I don't pick her up until next week. She is a bit older. Max likes more mature ladies. She is 8 or 9 months. I have to drive 2 hours to get her. It's the Black Spanish hen. I am so excited. This isn't her but she will be simular.
Aw! Congrats! maybe Max will make you a grandma someday soon! I hope he takes to her well! :)

omg Max starts a family!!

That would be neat to watch Max be a daddy.
It's going to be great seeing the chicks grow inside the eggs so much better this time. It really helps pass the forever three weeks it takes them to hatch! I'm happy for you that Max is getting a girlfriend!
I am trying to not candle everyday. I have only done it once. Tomorrow is day 7. I will candle then.

Aw! Congrats! maybe Max will make you a grandma someday soon! I hope he takes to her well! :)
But then I'd have a bunch of turkeys. I wouldn't be able to get rid of any because they would be my grandchildren. Maybe I didn't think this through.

Back
Top Bottom