Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

its 17 here...my 8 week olds are out there...tonight I filled an empty 1 gallon water jug with scalding hot water and set it next to where they huddle...I put and empty soda bottle full of hot water with the expectant mama out there

worst thing here is it usually drops down to that temp in the night but usually gets back up to the 30's in the day...stayed in the teens for over 24 hrs...my guys with the big combs and wattles suffered some frost bite by the time I noticed at bed time one was bleeding( bad mother) brought him in, cleaned him up, put neosporin on the owies and vicks on all the boys combs and wattles my poor baby's
the guy with the bad bleed is a crested cream legbar
but I have phoeniex roo with huge comb and wattles and a lavender orp with fairly large comb...all slathered in vicks
the brahmas do great with their peacombs

the hot water is a great idea... I am warming up some gallons of water by the fire just in case I need them to keep chicks warm. sorry about the frostbite :( will the vicks keep frostbite from happening again? I noticed little black spots on 1 of my roo's combs (rose comb) but i think he was just picked on/pecked by someone else..
I checked on them a few more times, they did not pig pile
wink.png
so I think they are doing good! I put a bunch of straw in there, should be better than the ice cold sand. I moved their large feeder and water inside the house, they flat out refused to go out in the snow the 2nd part of the day LOL so I closed them in maybe it will hold some heat. getting dark now, so they should be all snuggly together on the roost :)

my 1 BLRW egg has not hatched still... I can see it is internally pipped but no external.. cmon baby you can do it!
fl.gif

Faverolles are at the end of day 19 no internal pips yet there either but really good movement on them. there is 1 faverolle egg that is throwing me for a loop. it has a pretty big clear area on 1 side of the egg, it looks like about day 16 development or so. I would think it quit early, but I have seen it move in there about 5 times, and I made my husband look and he saw it move too LOL so maybe that one will just hatch very late? So strange. all the other faverolles look nice and dark/black throughout.

Quote:
the one faverolles sounds like it's stuck...as though it's not been turned...I have a couple of duck eggs looking that way I changed incubators with a different turner...I hope those babies make it for us!!

vicks or vasoline...didn't have vasoline so I used the vicks....but not on the boo boo...I think he got a drink and it stuck to the ice in the waterer when he lifted his head it ripped a little....my poor boy....he's such a handsome roo....

Woke up to 6 baby's running around the incubator this morning, only one hatched the night before- what a wonderful surprised. The last one just hatched( with a little help from me). Ended up with 4 lavender orpington's out of 8 shipped eggs. And 3 mutts from my neighbor. A big thank you to everyone on this thread- this was my first incubation and I learned how to candle, deal with humidity, temp and helping chicks out. What an incredible source of knowledge on this forum - for the chicken lover!

yeppie!!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

you did great

Guys i need help!!!!! I changed my broody silkie hen to another nest because it started to rain. Anyways she leftt the eggs to be back into her origional spot. I moved her back to the other spot and she stayed there anyways when i got there the eggs were cold. Is there still a chance that the eggs will hatch. Hurry I NEED HELP FAST PLEASE :(..

Guys i need help!!!!! I changed my broody silkie hen to another nest because it started to rain. Anyways she leftt the eggs to be back into her origional spot. I moved her back to the other spot and she stayed there anyways when i got there the eggs were cold. Is there still a chance that the eggs will hatch. Hurry I NEED HELP FAST PLEASE
sad.png

yes...is she sitting again?

Back
Top Bottom