Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

Heidisgran, that is precicely why they're in an incubator... No cats in here!

And even if they weren't labeled as hatching eggs (and therefore still went through xrays which I would have rather NOT had happen as I have heard some really bad things about that) they were packaged bad... laying them on their side and putting them in the box such that they could shake around. :( Still not USPSs fault they weren't wrapped right.

Currently they're not hatched yet. 4/8 are going into lockdown tonight and all of them have an aircell that moves against or away from the shell if I rotate the egg, one in particular is in Very bad shape where half the aircell is not attached at all. All the cells are on the right end... I worked really hard to keep them blunt end up the whole time in my Brinsea mini.

if they went thru xray none would develop...I've had my share of badly shipped eggs I completely share your frustration...wishing you luck for your hatch

Actually, there have been some studies done that show fertility & development are really not affected much by x-ray. There is a guy on here who is working on establishing a nice breeding flock in the Philipines who flies his eggs out of California in his luggage, all of which gets x-rayed & still gets some really great hatch rates. Check out his thread if you get a chance. It's called "Getting the flock out of here. Diary of a crazy chicken guy."
If you search "Getting the flock out of here" it will pull right up. I'm on my cell so can't copy/paste the link.

This is a thread for people to get advice and information.  Not a place to throw darts.  There is not one person on here that has all of the answers.  There are very few things that have only one way to do it.  If some asks a direct question to a specific person, there is no need to jump in.  If someone asks everyone, allow other people to give information without saying they are wrong unless it is dangerous and you have a very good source to back it up.  Lately I feel everything I say is being attacked.  That is not what I come here for.  Maybe some of you are not aware of how rude you come across.  You can state your opinion without putting down another person. This WAS one of the few places where people weren't condescending.  Things have been changing over the last few weeks.  If you wan to be rude, there are plenty of other threads.  

Totally agree :) you've been very nice and helpful, too!

[COLOR=4B0082]Maybe @chick-among-us

can help me figure it out lol. Not sure what all the abbreviations stand for on the eggs.[/COLOR]

I can't really read the eggs when I blow that up...But I recognize the eggs lol.

The sp means split SILKIED ameraucana ( NOT silkie crosses) gene carrying

OE sp = OLive egger split silkied ameraucana ( hatch 50 % silkied

Blue laced red Wyandotte= BLRW

RIR/sp= baby carries the silkied gene but will look smooth until bred to another silkied bird or split

EE= Easter egger

Am= lav/ black ameraucana pure

Bm= blue maran babies will be black copper blue copper or splash or straight blue ( I have a pure blue in this pen)

SBEL = super blue egg layer

S= silkie

C= bantam Cochins

I= iowacanas ( what we call an Iowa blue ameraucana cross)

I think that's all I have except if you got an EE egg that is a black am roo over a silver penciled brahma girl or a gold laced Wyandotte

Oh the silkied roo over the RIR is blue :D

Hi chick...I'm in Burleson in N. Texas

Howdy! How's the weather up there? :frow

day 18 dip... look for the black pencil marks to the right.

Great Picture!!! I never realized they did this and was always worried when at day 17 the air cell didn't look like the ones in the pictures...when it finally dawned on me I felt like a boob...lol
I like that we can predict about where they will pip..

that one is better.

Yes it is...Very clear....
thumbsup.gif

Quote: Actually, there have been some studies done that show fertility & development are really not affected much by x-ray. There is a guy on here who is working on establishing a nice breeding flock in the Philipines who flies his eggs out of California in his luggage, all of which gets x-rayed & still gets some really great hatch rates. Check out his thread if you get a chance. It's called "Getting the flock out of here. Diary of a crazy chicken guy."
If you search "Getting the flock out of here" it will pull right up. I'm on my cell so can't copy/paste the link.

good to know...will study that
highfive.gif

Quote:
oh my did I miss something? sometimes when there has been a lot of posts I just skim through....

I feel a little defensive toward my old hatching buddies...let me just chime in...Deanna is one of those hatchers who you can trust has either experienced it or studied it!!!
old.gif

Deanna,
it looks like I'm down to 3 Buffs....pipping now and 1 of the 7 sky blues has quit...SB aren't due for a few more weeks...did you order some?
fl.gif

I've really enjoyed this thread!! most are kind and considerate....you never stop learning
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom