Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

Just found this thread. We put 18 shipped eggs (mixed eggs from a fellow BYC) in our homemade incubator 2/1. The post office was not nice to the box. The box said hold at PO and they put it out for delivery. So it rode around on a truck all day and then was put on it's side out in the snow on my front porch. I have no idea how long it sat there since I was home in the morning when I wanted to pick it up but had to leave that day and didn't get home until 7.
We let them sit and reach room temp, then set them but didn't turn them for 5 days. Our incubator hasn't been maintaining a very steady temp. It's fluctuating 3 degrees. I'm going to try a different part of the house for the next batch. I candled last night and we have 5 eggs that have good development and 3 unknowns (shells too dark to tell what's in there). If those 5 hatch, I consider that a pretty good hatch rate for our first hatch, and for shipped eggs.

We're going to set some local silkie eggs as soon as these are done.

Here are the eggs we set. We have two of the larger blue ones and three of the small brown ones that are definitely developing. The two olive eggs are dark but too dark to see veins. One of the large brown ones is questionable. I see a dark mass but can't really seen any veins. The small blue ones are clear and the rest had blood rings.

Those are some pretty eggs. I am loving the blues and the olive colors.

So I bought eggs from a local guy and what was supposed to
well I got a surprise tonight I bought 6 silver Phoenix eggs from a local guy and first one hatched tonight :-/ looks like a Turken hope just the first ones a fluke and the rest are whatthey are supposed to be

Last hatch I had trouble with air cells not growing to where it was supposed to be at day 18 . the humidity was kept at 35 then.so this time around today day 17 I keep humidity at 20-25. I checked them and again air cells too small. What can I do to get it right? Haven't heard of less humidity during the first 18 days. Any suggestions? Tomorrow is lock down and I don't think air cells would grow in 24 hours.

The little booger loves sitting on my shoulder

And him bigger still loving a shoulder ride!

We actually saved him. We had a broody get killed by a hawk protecting her chicks, and then the hawk killed all the others before we could get them away :( I also had to share the first picture of our guineas because I thought it was too cute not too

Last hatch I had trouble with air cells not growing to where it was supposed to be at day 18 . the humidity was kept at 35 then.so this time around today day 17 I keep humidity at 20-25. I checked them and again air cells too small. What can I do to get it right? Haven't heard of less humidity during the first 18 days. Any suggestions? Tomorrow is lock down and I don't think air cells would grow in 24 hours.

How is your hygrometer? Has it been calibrated recently? The only thing I can think of is that maybe the meter is off and there is more humidity than it let's on. Hopefully someone else has an idea.

So I bought eggs from a local guy and what was supposed to well I got a surprise tonight I bought 6 silver Phoenix eggs from a local guy and first one hatched tonight :-/ looks like a Turken hope just the first ones a fluke and the rest are whatthey are supposed to be

I have never seen a turken baby (hadn't even heard of a turken until recently) I know it isn't what you wanted, but OMG it is cute. Like it has the worst '80's hair-style ever! LOL

A few pics of our new babies. The Daddy's name was Yeti, so I named them in his honor. The Daddy was a white silkie, the moms are EEs. The black and white one is Sasquatch (Sassy for short), the bigger one is Bigfoot. Sassy has 4 toes on one foot, 5 on the other. Bigfoot has 5 on both feet. They both have black skin and feathered feet, but the typical EE chipmunk markings. I love them!

A few pics of our new babies. The Daddy's name was Yeti, so I named them in his honor. The Daddy was a white silkie, the moms are EEs. The black and white one is Sasquatch (Sassy for short), the bigger one is Bigfoot. Sassy has 4 toes on one foot, 5 on the other. Bigfoot has 5 on both feet. They both have black skin and feathered feet, but the typical EE chipmunk markings. I love them!

Silkie EEs so cool!

No suggestions, but maybe an assurance. I just had 2 eggs hatch whose air cells were very small, one so little I could barely see it at all. The chicks hatched with no problems, so hopefully yours will too.

Back
Top Bottom