Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

They are pooing a lot in they so maybe that's it? I don't even know what rotten egg smells like lol ( I really don't want to, but in this case it would be nice to know the difference) hopefully the 2 others that have pipped will zip shortly and I can just worry about the 2 possibly duds ( and my slow poke) I had one other chick that had a hard time getting out of the shell (I think it was in the wrong position) Now it can't get up on it's own, and I really want to get it out and dry it...I hope it makes it

Here is how it started out during hatch:

I don't know if this was the wrong position but none of my other ones were like this

At time of hatch early this morning:

Now...still can't get up:

Do you guys think that by drying it off and getting some electrolytes in it will help?

Edited to add some pics
I do use some electrolytes on mine that look like this for a while..but, I use a very small strength, and give just teensy drops..one every hr. and half or two. That's a big belly of yolk to absorb yet.

I do use some electrolytes on mine that look like this for a while..but, I use a very small strength, and give just teensy drops..one every hr. and half or two. That's a big belly of yolk to absorb yet.
Thanks I will continue to keep an eye on it and give it time to absorb and see how it goes hopefully it starts getting stronger soon...I will keep the electrolytes handy though

Ok so my other "problem chick" (not really a problem but...) is the one who has zipped quite a while ago I'm worried about the right side which seems dried out or something..it doesn't look normal. What do you guys think? I am going to and some water to the sponge that is in there to help moisten it, although my humidity has been good so far. this right side was laying on the bottom and I slightly moved it because I was afraid it was lodged in next to the thermometer and the wall (didn't open the bator...I used my makeshift "robotic arm" to move it) This is what I saw when I moved it:

It doesn't look it in this picture but on the right side (near the sponge) it looks dry and crusty...I'm down to my last few eggs that need to hatch and everything else has been going pretty well, I don't wanna lose these guys
love.gif

Ok so my other "problem chick" (not really a problem but...) is the one who has zipped quite a while ago I'm worried about the right side which seems dried out or something..it doesn't look normal. What do you guys think? I am going to and some water to the sponge that is in there to help moisten it, although my humidity has been good so far. this right side was laying on the bottom and I slightly moved it because I was afraid it was lodged in next to the thermometer and the wall (didn't open the bator...I used my makeshift "robotic arm" to move it) This is what I saw when I moved it:

It doesn't look it in this picture but on the right side (near the sponge) it looks dry and crusty...I'm down to my last few eggs that need to hatch and everything else has been going pretty well, I don't wanna lose these guys
love.gif
hmm that does look crusty... keep in mind that if we operate on this egg, the other remaining eggs might also need help (drying out due to opening) but since so few eggs are left, I think I would open it personally... get the bathroom super hot and high humidity, run the shower for 10ish minutes (I also have a space heater in the bathroom), get a warm wet cloth to wrap it in. sterile tweezers, hand sanitizer for yourself

I would moisten the area around the zip with antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever) OR you can also use warm water (sterile, boiled but not boiling hot) and a q-tip... to me it looks crusted on/stuck... so you need to moisten the exposed areas all around the shell. the AB ointment/neosporin will keep it moist for hours while it waits. the water can dry out over a few hours, so you might have to re-wet in that case.

depending on how long it's been since it started zipping, you might put it back and wait longer, or help it zip a little bit more..how far zipped around is it? when did the zip start?

here is the detailed information on intervention, good read: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/9316/intervention-helping-your-chicks-hatch

Last edited:
hmm that does look crusty... keep in mind that if we operate on this egg, the other remaining eggs might also need help (drying out due to opening) but since so few eggs are left, I think I would open it personally... get the bathroom super hot and high humidity, run the shower for 10ish minutes (I also have a space heater in the bathroom), get a warm wet cloth to wrap it in. sterile tweezers, hand sanitizer for yourself

I would moisten the area around the zip with antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever) OR you can also use warm water (sterile, boiled but not boiling hot) and a q-tip... to me it looks crusted on/stuck... so you need to moisten the exposed areas all around the shell. the AB ointment/neosporin will keep it moist for hours while it waits. the water can dry out over a few hours, so you might have to re-wet in that case.

depending on how long it's been since it started zipping, you might put it back and wait longer, or help it zip a little bit more..how far zipped around is it? when did the zip start?

here is the detailed information on intervention, good read: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/9316/intervention-helping-your-chicks-hatch
It started zipping around probably midnight (between Midnight and 2am...lots of activity at that point lol) It has zipped a really good portion of the shell a little over half which is why I was thinking it was having an issue. I read that info on intervention it has really good info thanks. Luckily, this one is now the only one left who has already pipped. Everyone else has hatched except for the other 2 are the ones who haven't done anything so far. I'm getting everything ready now

[COLOR=0000CD]Ok so my other "problem chick" (not really a problem but...) is the one who has zipped quite a while ago I'm worried about the right side which seems dried out or something..it doesn't look normal. What do you guys think? I am going to and some water to the sponge that is in there to help moisten it, although my humidity has been good so far. this right side was laying on the bottom and I slightly moved it because I was afraid it was lodged in next to the thermometer and the wall (didn't open the bator...I used my makeshift "robotic arm" to move it) This is what I saw when I moved it:[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]It doesn't look it in this picture but on the right side (near the sponge) it looks dry and crusty...I'm down to my last few eggs that need to hatch and everything else has been going pretty well, I don't wanna lose these guys [/COLOR]:love [COLOR=0000CD] [/COLOR]
If it was wedged against the thermometer then it got delayed on escaping the shell & started to dry inside the shell. This "glues" the baby to the shell. You are going to need to wet the membrane & work it loose where it's stuck at. Once it's unstuck, it will kick loose as long as there are no other issues preventing it from doing so. Sometimes they get stuck due to physical issues but this 1 sounds more like an external factor caused it (not enough room to push the shell open).

If it was wedged against the thermometer then it got delayed on escaping the shell & started to dry inside the shell. This "glues" the baby to the shell. You are going to need to wet the membrane & work it loose where it's stuck at. Once it's unstuck, it will kick loose as long as there are no other issues preventing it from doing so. Sometimes they get stuck due to physical issues but this 1 sounds more like an external factor caused it (not enough room to push the shell open).
Ok so it was really dry in the front of the zip...luckily it had actually zipped about 3/4 of the circumference of the shell so I moistened it a lot( without drowning it. the back was nice and moist the front is REALLY dry..I added the neosporine after moistening it a bunch then I put it back in the bator with a damp paper towel around it. I willl keep a close eye on it and if it doesn't finish hatching soon I will try moistening it again

What silkie said, and man, I'm loving that blue egg! Have to see the baby when it hatches. :)

Ok so it was really dry in the front of the zip...luckily it had actually zipped about 3/4 of the circumference of the shell so I moistened it a lot( without drowning it. the back was nice and moist the front is REALLY dry..I added the neosporine after moistening it a bunch then I put it back in the bator with a damp paper towel around it. I willl keep a close eye on it and if it doesn't finish hatching soon I will try moistening it again

good job!
thumbsup.gif
give it time and keep us updated

Back
Top Bottom