Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

Eggtopsy time.

Started with 17 eggs. 16 were viable. I died at zip
12 hatched into wonderful chicks.
That leaves 3.

It turns out that putting the egg in a bag before cracking it open is a vital step. I almost got a face full of rotten egg, the nastiest smell I have experienced in recent memory. So one was rotten - I did not look closely enough to even tell what stage it got to, all I know is the when I tapped it it blew up like a balloon and I rushed it out to the woods as fast as I could manage.

For the remaining two: One was fully developed, but it seems that it never got it's head turned around to where the air sac was. No internal pip, but no noticeable veining either. I'm thinking it probably died on day 20 or 21. The other one was a quitter - I'm guessing day 15.

So my first hatch was 75%.

Eggtopsy time.

Started with 17 eggs. 16 were viable. I died at zip
12 hatched into wonderful chicks.
That leaves 3. 

It turns out that putting the egg in a bag before cracking it open is a vital step. I almost got a face full of rotten egg, the nastiest smell I have experienced in recent memory. So one was rotten - I did not look closely enough to even tell what stage it got to, all I know is the when I tapped it it blew up like a balloon and I rushed it out to the woods as fast as I could manage.

For the remaining two: One was fully developed, but it seems that it never got it's head turned around to where the air sac was. No internal pip, but no noticeable veining either. I'm thinking it probably died on day 20 or 21. The other one was a quitter - I'm guessing day 15.

So my first hatch was 75%.
Yeeeee. I haven't had better than 40 percent lately so congrats on your success. :)

Lol you always miss my posts
HI. Got your PM.......................Neat news................
Another sign when birth is close.....is that at the top of her tail , back hip area.
It will get mushy..soft to the touch like a marsh mellow..and will sink a little...
Now I'm getting excited........................
big_smile.png

Aaaannnnndd.....
It's day 1 again.

29 eggs. Same cross as last time: BRxRSL from my backyard flock. A couple of these were collected on really cold days so I don't know if I got to them fast enough or not. Guess I'll find out in four or five days.

Back
Top Bottom