Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

Thank you Farmer Viola! it was your suggestion on one of these hatch alongs to switch to the dry hatch method that got me to switch. I went from 42% hatch rate up to 84%. I could not be happier!
wee.gif

WOW really!!
yesss.gif
ha you just made my day... no, my entire week... that makes me feel so good!
big_smile.png
42% to 84% is huge!!! NICE JOB!!!!

My bator sat empty too long waiting on a batch of "fertility check" eggs from my friend & these jumped in on their own...OOPPPSSS!!!
3 Polish
7 Ancona
7 Turkey
9 Rainbow Layers
3 Calls (just to see if little Grayson was doing his job before the polar vortex got him)

My little duckling is so goofy. I got home and was so worried he'd be dead. Nope, but he was glued to the towel I'm using in the brooder. Had put some honey in his water yesterday to try to help him out, and I guess I used too much cause he had apparently taken a swim in it and then gotten stuck to the towel. He got a warm bath with a touch of dish soap to get the honey off, I towel dried him and now he's sitting under the lamp again. Does anyone have any experience with Indian runner babies? Any time he tries to stand all the way up on his feet he ends up falling over. He's doing a lot of rolling over backwards and getting stuck on his back until he can figure out how to roll himself back over again.

Last edited:
My little duckling is so goofy. I got home and was so worried he'd be dead. Nope, but he was glued to the towel I'm using in the brooder. Had put some honey in his water yesterday to try to help him out, and I guess I used too much cause he had apparently taken a swim in it and then gotten stuck to the towel. He got a warm bath with a touch of dish soap to get the honey off, I towel dried him and now he's sitting under the lamp again. Does anyone have any experience with Indian runner babies? Any time he tries to stand all the way up on his feet he ends up falling over. He's doing a lot of rolling over backwards and getting stuck on his back until he can figure out how to roll himself back over again.

Pretty typical of day old runners. Give it a couple days to learn to balance. It will be running all over in no time. You will want to try to get it a friend soon though, even if it's a chick instead of a duck. They do much better with a friend.

dry hatch is 25%-35%
when you first set the eggs don't add water...the eggs will cause humidity...if it drops below 25% add water...if it goes above 35% due to the eggs don't worry it'll go down as they dry...day 18 or so pump it up to 45%-65%

Well doesn't that just figure!! And here I thought I was doing a dry hatch...lol.. Jokes on me...Next time I'll just Pm and ask instead of reading and reading and reading..lol...I guess I confused even myself..
Well since I am on day 13 its probably to late to allow the humidity to drop more, but as luck would have it, my Brother wants me to hatch out some of their BO's and said I can keep half the hatch
big_smile.png

Well doesn't that just figure!! And here I thought I was doing a dry hatch...lol.. Jokes on me...Next time I'll just Pm and ask instead of reading and reading and reading..lol...I guess I confused even myself..
Well since I am on day 13 its probably to late to allow the humidity to drop more, but as luck would have it, my Brother wants me to hatch out some of their BO's and said I can keep half the hatch :D  

replying on my phone hope it works..
it is not too late to drop humidity! the humidity is an average, so it it was too high do a time you can still average it back out by bringing it lower. the goal here is to help it lose water weight. there is still another weeks worth of water loss to be had :)

I did an average of temps and humidity up to this point (day 18)...

Temps averaged 99.6 (high of 101.1 and low of 98.4) and humidity averaged 36% with a lot of ups and downs. That was the hardest thing to control in this incubator. At the beginning of lockdown I couldn't get the humidity above 52% until I plugged the hole my turner usually goes through. Then it went right up to 62%. I think the next batch I'll insulate that hole even when the turner is in it and see if that helps get the humidity more stable.
This is our first hatch but our air cells look good compared to pics I've seen so hopefully the humidity swings didn't affect them too much.

replying on my phone hope it works..
it is not too late to drop humidity! the humidity is an average, so it it was too high do a time you can still average it back out by bringing it lower. the goal here is to help it lose water weight. there is still another weeks worth of water loss to be had
smile.png

Ok, I added a couple TBSP of water this morning, its steady at 41-43 right now and both plugs are out (as they have been this hatch).. I'll leave it til lockdown unless it drops below 25.. Next hatch I am doing the dry hatch for sure.. although candling up until now looks great, air cells all have the tell tale dip I am expecting to start seeing and of course they will get bigger, but it looks like its right on track or close to it...full candle tomorrow morning day 14
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom