Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

I have two more that are close if I am here I will give some warning next time. My entire batch was shrink wrapped I just couldn't get the humidity high enough

I don't know for sure, but I know that they are pretty weak and tired after hatching, so it could take a little bit to gain any control of their legs.
smile.png

dry hatch is 25%-35%
when you first set the eggs don't add water...the eggs will cause humidity...if it drops below 25% add water...if it goes above 35% due to the eggs don't worry it'll go down as they dry...day 18 or so pump it up to 45%-65%

Agree ^

I run my still air at 25% using a quarter of a sponge cut with scissors. I find that I need it more in the still air, particularly if it is not full of eggs.
I run my forced air around 30% that is with adding zero water at all.

I also weigh them to track their weight loss... usually they are right on target losing about 2-3g per 7 days. if they have lost 13% by d15-16, then I might increase humidity to 35-45% to slow down weight loss. I begin lockdown humidity (55-65%) at day 19/first internal pip

It was the Am's..Two going great, the last one I had to help and it is iffy...Not doing well. Very small and not on it's own yet.
I have it in the brooder in a large plastic dish because the other two keep trying to grab it's toes and it is not strong enough to get away from them.
I want to find eggs again and give it another try with the Am's.
Where is a broody hen when I need them..............
barnie.gif

awwwh I hate it when they bite each other's toes, I think they think they are worms or something... my Marans also bit their OWN toes lol they were not so smart... bite CHEEP bite CHEEP
it's kind of like, stop hitting yourself!
gig.gif

Thank you Farmer Viola! it was your suggestion on one of these hatch alongs to switch to the dry hatch method that got me to switch. I went from 42% hatch rate up to 84%. I could not be happier! :weee

Back
Top Bottom