Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

I got some chicks from a friend to go with the grey chick I hatched, she gave me- 2delaware chicks boy and girl, 2 black copper marans boy and girl, one white maran girl, one girl isbar, and one peach colored silky chick sex unknown.

Last edited:
Day 17... Eggs are rocking!
cool.png

So lockdown is Monday for 8 of my chicken eggs, am I supposed to increase the humidity then? Because there are other eggs in the same incubator that don't go into lockdown until Friday.

those are my husbands hands :p

You are funny!!! Let's not make anyone think you have "man hands". "Here, let me wipe that blob of mustard off your face" (hope you've seen that Seinfield episode... He he!) My goodness! That's an early riser! I had an early lone hatcher, too :) What a doll!!! Poor thing pinned up. Little helpless angel. I'm thinking ducks are really cute, but why do people raise ducks? For kicks? I like chickens because they also give back with eggs. Do ducks do something special??
I've been amazed during my hatch (which is still lingering on....day 24 and probably two more to go) Most the eggs I doubted pulled through!! Life is amazing! I appreciate your encouragement :)

What has been the longest hatch for everyone? I'm day 24, did a float test of remaining two eggs.,,one was a low float horizontal lay, the other was vertical and sunk more. It stunned me that the first one passed! I was POSITIVE that one was dead. It appeared that the second one died. I put them both back in bator anyway. I swear I saw slow rocking/jiggling in both as I peered through bator!!! Pretty sure I heard scratching sound too. No internal pip before float test or after scratching/moving. Just candled and see slow movements/shadows/jerks. I promised myself I'll wait a couple more days...l
Does anyone know why such a staggered hatch when all were set at same time? The chicks I have now span four days. How could it be temp when one came a day early and so on? It's a forced air so I assume there's not a huge fluctuation in temps within bator. Just want to get wiser for next hatch. Bring on all those Easter chickies!!!!

You are funny!!! Let's not make anyone think you have "man hands". "Here, let me wipe that blob of mustard off your face" (hope you've seen that Seinfield episode... He he!) My goodness! That's an early riser! I had an early lone hatcher, too
smile.png
What a doll!!! Poor thing pinned up. Little helpless angel. I'm thinking ducks are really cute, but why do people raise ducks? For kicks? I like chickens because they also give back with eggs. Do ducks do something special??
I've been amazed during my hatch (which is still lingering on....day 24 and probably two more to go) Most the eggs I doubted pulled through!! Life is amazing! I appreciate your encouragement
smile.png

What, so ducks don't give back with eggs? They ARE birds after all! Ducks lay eggs like a champ! Most breeds lay 100-150/yr, but many have been bred to lay like chickens up to 300/yr! Some wild breeds and landraces will naturally lay 180/yr which aint half bad. Duck eggs are bigger, carry twice the nutrient value as a chicken egg (unfortunately also twice the cholesterol) and are sweeter. They are amazing for baking as they fluff up like whipped cream! Ducks can make great mothers, and one breed has the record for a biggest clutch ever naturally layed, brooded and then hatched... 23/24 eggs! They are very thrifty, and good at free-ranging and predator avoidance. Ducks are great hunters (bugs, rodents, snakes, you name it they will eat it!) and they have some of the best tasting meat in the world... Not to mention they are super cute!

I am a passionate duck fan and intend to keep many of them when I have the space for it!

What has been the longest hatch for everyone? I'm day 24, did a float test of remaining two eggs.,,one was a low float horizontal lay, the other was vertical and sunk more. It stunned me that the first one passed! I was POSITIVE that one was dead. It appeared that the second one died. I put them both back in batory anyway. I swear I saw slow rocking/jiggling in both as I peered through bator!!! Pretty sure I heard scratching sound too. No internal pip before float test or after scratching/moving. Just candled and see slow movements/shadows/jerks. I promised myself I'll wait a couple more days...l
Does anyone know why such a staggered hatch when all were set at same time? The chicks I have now span four days. How could it be temp when one came a day early and so on? It's a forced air so I assume there's not a huge fluctuation in temps within bator. Just want to get wiser for next hatch. Bring on all those Easter chickies!!!!

yes different temps in the the bator

ducks are....beside being so darn cute...a hoot!!

mine are tiny calls...they weigh 1 to 2 lbs as adults...just a little bigger than your hand...or my husbands
wink.png

they are more pet like..if I call them they come....
love.gif

What, so ducks don't give back with eggs? They ARE birds after all! Ducks lay eggs like a champ! Most breeds lay 100-150/yr, but many have been bred to lay like chickens up to 300/yr! Some wild breeds and landraces will naturally lay 180/yr which aint half bad. Duck eggs are bigger, carry twice the nutrient value as a chicken egg (unfortunately also twice the cholesterol) and are sweeter. They are amazing for baking as they fluff up like whipped cream! Ducks can make great mothers, and one breed has the record for a biggest clutch ever naturally layed, brooded and then hatched... 23/24 eggs! They are very thrifty, and good at free-ranging and predator avoidance. Ducks are great hunters (bugs, rodents, snakes, you name it they will eat it!) and they have some of the best tasting meat in the world... Not to mention they are super cute!

I am a passionate duck fan and intend to keep many of them when I have the space for it!

Good to know!! Thanks! I've never thought of eating duck eggs. Or ducks for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom