Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

[COLOR=0000CD]I forgot to say that I did end up zipping it totally (Since it was having an issue, and I didn't want to not do it and end up just having to do it later) I moistened the crustiest part quite a bit, but it's beak was nearest to that part (actually had crusty stuck to it's beak which I got off) so I wasn't able to get the shell off in that area for fear of ripping off membrane also. There isn't any blood in the membrane that I saw(even at the back where there was lots of intact membrane)  The worst part for me is to decide when I should go back and do more for it if it doesn't break free soon. It did kinda push the top of the egg up some, but hasn't tried to kick free yet...I'm sure it's exhausted. Thanks for your input it's greatly appreciated. [/COLOR]

At this point then I would definitely start chipping some shell away to see if the membrane is stuck to baby. Once the blood is absorbed (the yolk goes with it) there is no reason to stay in the shell. Baby will just continue to get weaker at this point. If you want to give it a chance you will need to make sure it's completely loose from the membrane. You can begin chipping further from the beak & work toward it if you need to.

At this point then I would definitely start chipping some shell away to see if the membrane is stuck to baby. Once the blood is absorbed (the yolk goes with it) there is no reason to stay in the shell. Baby will just continue to get weaker at this point. If you want to give it a chance you will need to make sure it's completely loose from the membrane. You can begin chipping further from the beak & work toward it if you need to.
Ok I will do that then

Egg #17 is out!
wee.gif

It definitely needed more help because it had a few parts of membrane glued to it. When I popped up the top of it's shell the membrane sucked right against it's body. It was really exhausted though...hardly moved until I got it situated back into the bator...moved a bit then rested again THANKS for EVERYONE'S advice and support!!!!! Now if those 2 dud wannabes would stop taking their sweet time....(It's actually only the end of day 21 so they have time...I just have to keep reminding myself of that!)

I almost forgot to post the pic...only have a pic of half at the moment (somebody decided they wanted in the pic also)

I'll try to get a better one later

Last edited:
Egg #17 is out!
wee.gif

It definitely needed more help because it had a few parts of membrane glued to it. When I popped up the top of it's shell the membrane sucked right against it's body. It was really exhausted though...hardly moved until I got it situated back into the bator...moved a bit then rested again THANKS for EVERYONE'S advice and support!!!!! Now if those 2 dud wannabes would stop taking their sweet time....(It's actually only the end of day 21 so they have time...I just have to keep reminding myself of that!)

hooray! glad to hear it :) you might want to give it a quick rinse-off in warm water to get that hardened membrane off so it can grow feathers properly. congratulations!!
jumpy.gif

have you candled the last 2?

Last edited:
hooray! glad to hear it :) you might want to give it a quick rinse-off in warm water to get that hardened membrane off so it can grow feathers properly. congratulations!!
jumpy.gif

have you candled the last 2?
Yeah, I did candle them...saw movement in one (white egg) Didn't see anything in the other (brown egg). I have a harder time candling them I'm hoping that they are just taking longer than the rest. I don't know how to tell about internal pipping except that you can hear them start to peep and with all the rest of them in there I wouldn't know if they started lol

Egg #17 is out!
wee.gif

I almost forgot to post the pic...only have a pic of half at the moment (somebody decided they wanted in the pic also)

I'll try to get a better one later
I really believe that it is a good thing that you got this baby out, and not leave it over night. I've done that, when everything is looking good, and I think, it will kick itself free now. But, stays in there, with the humidity, the bottom of the egg "stuff" near it's navel area is sooo in trouble if bacteria starts to develop. Here a great article on it. I've had it happen a couple of times now, they just can't make it if the yolk gets infected.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis

Edit to say, if you haven't already, smother the navel area with neosporin. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom