Jan. Hatch A Long?

We just got hit with a foot of snow and it's in the teens. I'm in eastern Long Island. It's supposed to warm up later this week into the upper 30's.

I presume shipping eggs in this weather reduces hatching rate quite considerably...

Maybe I will just have to wait until it warms up.

I feel like the problem is where I live very few people are taking the initiative to grow their own food. So it's hard to source live chickens...

I've got my eye set on some New Hampshire Reds, but they are currently unavailable from Meyer Hatchery (which is where I'm planning to purchase from).

I have a nice area in my basement that is clean and ready to be set up for a nice little coop until it warms up in the spring.

I also have 1600 watts (4 X 400) worth of MH aircooled hoods which I'm using to grow veggies. And a 1KW grow tent for berries.

Want to produce as much of my own food as possible.
Not familiar with a meat bird. I do know of some of the Large Fowl..that are great for both egg and meat. The LF cochin, RIR's, Sex Links., Australorp, Brahama...although, have to say, in my experience, the cochin and brahama aren't that great at egg laying, but are good at being broody and are a very large bird if you are wanting meat. So many birds though..that are great for both, the New Hampshire being one of them.

Maybe someone can give us an idea on a great meat bird. I know that I see them in the feed stores in the spring. They just call them..meat birds, here. Man, I can go into the store one week, and a week later they are almost three times the size, no kidding. They are pretty much ready to eat within a couple or three months.

If you can't get any NH's, try the RIR's. I love them..temperaments and all. Nice big eggs almost every day.

Ha, have to edit..I was thinking Cornish..here is a nice site to read up on them. http://farmingforjustice.com/2010/08/01/raising-birds-for-meat/

Last edited:
Going to be setting my EE eggs soon. Like I said, I have two more orders coming..man, they didn't make it today..that means they are sitting at the sorting facility in two towns over. Hope they are both at our P.O. Mon.

Going to be setting my EE eggs soon. Like I said, I have two more orders coming..man, they didn't make it today..that means they are sitting at the sorting facility in two towns over. Hope they are both at our P.O. Mon.

Seems to always happen to me, delivered on Monday. But my mail lady is good about, bring them to me first thing, so they are not bumping around in her vehicle all day.

Not sure if this hatch will be very good. Alot of variables against me on this.

Some eggs have be refrigerated for a while and the testing of the incubator.
fl.gif

Mail does move through the weekend. If your eggs were shipped out on Sat. they should keep on moving. My P.O. knows me...lol...they call me.and, I have my number usually put on the box for them to call..but they know. Either my DH or I go pick them up so they aren't on the truck.
That's great that you have them brought to your door!

Set..my EE's. Due to hatch on the 25th. There are some pretty eggs there.

Just set mine also. I've got a mix in there, Brahmas, Silkies, d'Uccles, possible a phoenix.

And the count down begins.

Hey JD..there is a Jan/Feb hatch a long going on..looks like it's just getting started too...but for two months..oh dear.. not sure I want to hatch into Feb. I want to do the Easter Hatch A Long, but...let's move over there anyway, looks like there are a few more folks.

See you over there?

Back
Top Bottom