Janoel 12

Yuck...having to work on hatch day is no fun!!!  Yay for little hatchers!!! You'll come home, hopefully to  a bunch of little chicks.

It sure is frustrating. Especially since I may not even get to go home tonight due to the weather. But it is going to have to be pretty bad to keep me here.

Aren't smart phones a wonderful thing?
1f423.png

Three out. One has pipped wrong end but is chirping. What do I do? Just wait and see?
He's got a pretty good hole there. There's a good chance he'll be able to get himself out on his own. Just keep an eye on him and if he seems to be struggling or gets real weak, prepare to help. I'd give it 16-18 hours before helping. Then I would just enlarge the hole a bit and check his position. If it looks like he's in a good position and can get himself out, then let him. If not start an assisted hatch, but take it slow.

He's got a pretty good hole there. There's a good chance he'll be able to get himself out on his own. Just keep an eye on him and if he seems to be struggling or gets real weak, prepare to help. I'd give it 16-18 hours before helping. Then I would just enlarge the hole a bit and check his position. If it looks like he's in a good position and can get himself out, then let him. If not start an assisted hatch, but take it slow.

Thanks. I was reading some other post that said most make it out okay. I don't know what I'd do with out all the BYC folks. Have three out, three pipped and one internally pipped and chirping. All this is on day 21. Not too bad for my cheap little incubator that I worried about so.

I want to thank everyone for your encouragement and help. My evaluation of the Janoel 12 is this:
-It is good for about 9 eggs if you use the turner, several more if you turn manually.
-it is inexpensive and can be bought on eBay
-thus far the thermostat seems to be very reliable, but I have not figured out a way to increase the temp over 38*C. You can decrease it.
- the instructions that come with it are incomprehensible.
-it is easy to clean up
-keeping humidity stable is difficult(especially if you can't keep from opening it) lol
- you can't really see through it and that is the reason I was compelled to open it. There is no viewing window of any kind.
- But, because it is small it regains it's temp very quickly.
This is the results of it's first use and my first incubation

Set 9 eggs. 1 tossed for clear, 1 tossed for blood ring, 7 healthy chicks hatched. I did assist the last one(not sure if it was needed) but except for some bleeding from the umbilicus it seems fine. Most hatched on day 21. ( I had set them at noon and they hatched from about 10 am till about 2pm the next day)
I plan on trying a dry incubation on some eggs that will be shipped next month. I'll let you know how it goes. AREN'T THEY CUTE?

Back
Top Bottom